Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I run 2-10gb IDE hard drives with this Intel D845gvsr mboard  (Read 4809 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Can I run 2-10gb IDE hard drives with this Intel D845gvsr mboard
« on: November 23, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »
Intel d845gvsr operators manual is here.
That's about all I can find on this old un-supported board.
 Reason for this question is that 2 -10gb iDE hard drives is all I have left after both of my 160 gb drives won't run (bad sectors, NTDRL not found ect.) I'm trying to load Vista Hm Prem as the OS but disk space on a single 10 gb is the culprit that's causing problems.
 Thanks for any help or suggestions on a better way to approach this.
Mike

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can I run 2-10gb IDE hard drives with this Intel D845gvsr mboard
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
Yes 10gb disk space may not be enough for vista to run smoothly. If you dont have larger disk you may have to think of installing xp. That would be your best option.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:28:59 PM »
ok, I've got an old XP SP1 OS disc, but it's hard getting the OS up to date with SP2 through Windows Update = "no longer supported". But I'll give it another try. Thanks for the help!
I'll post back with the results...
Mike

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:57:26 AM »
Better is to upgrade to service pack 3, which is the latest and major update for xp. You can download it separately and install it either by burning to a cd or just install it right away. You will not lose any data, it will only upgrade your existing installation. It is available for free from Microsoft.

Windows XP SP3 Exe file (Free Upgrade only)
Windows XP SP3 .iso file (Free Upgrade only)

Chris G.

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 05:41:43 AM »
Your question was whether you can connect 2 10GB hard drives to your mainboard.
That should work. On pictures I can see 3 IDE adapters.
I can also totally agree to PCdoc, that it would be better to use XP, as Vista is in my opinion one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes (Don't kill me for my opinion :D)
But why dont you just buy a bigger harddrive? They are not that expensive.

I hope I could help you.
Chris G.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 06:42:14 AM »
One IDE motherboard connector can control 2 drives - master and slave. Also, any 10 GB drives still working would be likely to fail very soon, as they must be very old - that size was common in the late 1990s - if  one was working for the last 15 years it must be life expired, and if it was stored for a long time it will also be suspect mechanically.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
as Vista is in my opinion one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes (Don't kill me for my opinion :D)
Lol, I have the same opinion as you :P

But why dont you just buy a bigger harddrive? They are not that expensive.
The problem here is, Intel 845gvsr (which is a standard Pentium 4 processor compatible mobo) don't come with a SATA port. I don't know about other countries, but at least in mine (India) New IDE hard drives are no more available. They are either refurbished, which die within an year or second hand (used) are available, which also may die within an year or two, but may not last very long.
I have not ever tried something like PCI SATA controller which can allow to use a bigger capacity SATA hard drive.
The better option would be to buy a new build IMO.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 07:44:52 AM »
There are IDE to SATA adapters available...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 04:07:49 PM »
Just wanted to state that you can pick up a 40GB or larger IDE HDD cheap these days. I bought a 120GB Refurb IDE HDD off of Newegg like 3 months ago for my daughters Pentium 4 system to upgrade away from the 40GB and its a good drive and only cost $9.99 with free shipping and has either a 90 day or 1 year warranty. I ran crystal disk on it and it shows that the drive was not power cycled many times, but had 18,000 hours of runtime. I have seen drives run well beyond 30k hours of runtime and keep chugging with no problems, so it was a good deal.

You might run into the 137GB limitation. http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf

but....

Intel offers drivers to support the full capacity of drives larger than 137 GB on motherboards
equipped with the Intel 810, 810E, 810E2, 815, 815, 815E, 815EP, 815P, 820, 820E, 830M,
830MP, 830MG, 840, 845, 850, or 860 chipset.

I have an old motherboard with the Intel 845 GLVE running a Pentium 4 2.00Ghz single-core and I tested it with XP, Vista, and Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium on 1GB of DDR 266Mhz FSB RAM.

XP Pro SP3 = ( Clean install ) Runs perfect speed on it, however ran faster on SP2 clean install and slowed some after all updates and SP3. Ok multitasking.

Vista 32-bit = was laggy but ran, poor multitasking. (*Note upgraded to vista from XP so it may have inherrited the xp driver for GPU)

Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium = (Clean install ) was laggy, and I ran into driver issues with the Integrated Video of the 845GL chipset, and had to force Windows 7 to use Windows XP drivers since driver support for the 845 chipset ended at XP. * With Vista you may have to also force it to take a XP driver for integrated video if you dont have a video card added. Single-Tasking Only and CPU running 100% for long periods of time. ** Looked for an old GeForce 4 MX 440 PCI video card with 64MB RAM that I had to try in it vs integrated video, but video card was M.I.A to test with.

***Note: Speed and Multitasking related to Pentium 4 socket 478 2.00Ghz with 1GB of DDR 266Mhz RAM. If I had a better CPU or more RAM it probably would have ran better. My motherboard is TriGem Imperial GL_VE 20021111 with Intel 845GL chipset, out of an old eMachine tower that originally had a 2Ghz Celeron and 128MB RAM when I took it out of a pile of computer junk going out for recycle back in 2007.

What are you running for a CPU, RAM, and GPU?

Also ...
There are IDE to SATA adapters available...
While these do work most of the time, a SATA drive converted to work on IDE I wouldnt suggest, as for for around the same price as one of these converters you can get a PCI SATA I - 1.5 or SATA II - 3.0 adapter and have better performance. I upgraded a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz from ATA 100 to SATA 1.5 and it helped speed up performance with boot and loading large files etc. The SATA HDD controller was a PCI which was 2 port 1.5mb/s and was a StarTech which I picked up for like $15 back in 2008. ** Just had to go into BIOS and tell it to boot off of this SATA controllers attached 300GB SATA drive vs the 160GB IDE HDD. I then left the 160GB in the system and formatted it to use it for redundant backup space of important data as part of a scheduled backup between the 300GB SATA and the 160GB IDE nightly.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »
Problem solved thanks to another 160gb IDE drive that I found hiding in one of many boxes of old, obsolete stuff.
I never got XP to update to SP3 on that 10gb drive, but I installed Vista HM Prem on this WD 160gb drive and its working just fine.
Gee, this worked out without me spending any $, which I don't have, and from the help from you guru's that I've depended on for several years now.
Thanks and cudos to you all and I wish you all a happy 'full belly' 2013 Thanksgiving!!!
Mike :)