Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: White Screen  (Read 3131 times)

gsdusek

Topic Starter

• when in doubt wipe it out..
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
White Screen
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »
 Hello I have a toshiba Satellite l675-s7108 with a white screen at boot up. I am in need of help determining the cause. What I have done to this point.
1. replaced LCD screen
2. Replaced video cable
3. replaced memory
4. replaced harddrive
5. reinstalled windows 7 64 bit

After all of this I am still left with a white screen the moment the computer is powered on. I am able to connect external monitor and display appears normal through external source. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Gary

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: White Screen
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:42:30 AM »
If you have 'replaced' all the essential things and also the external monitor display is normal, I would check the motherboard. The laptop spec shows its a LED screen, there fore it will not have an inverter. At first diagnostic, the white screen here can first be either the LCD screen or a bad LCD cable. It may not be a hard drive. If it was a hard drive, it should have at least shown the motherboard logo?
Memory is doubtful because then the external monitor will also not work. I could have asked you to unplug the cmos battery, remove laptop battery, remove charger and leave it for few minutes and check. But such a diagnosis is sensible only if the external monitor is also NOT working. Still you can try.
Lastly, I would check with the motherboard.

WhiteyB

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »
A white screen all the time indicates the data cable or the data port on the led screen is non functional. On most laptops the "cable" and "port" on the screen are very delicate..
90% of the time, it's the user NOT the computer.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 12:01:42 PM »
A white screen all the time indicates the data cable or the data port on the led screen is non functional. On most laptops the "cable" and "port" on the screen are very delicate..
If the port is bad or thr cable is lose/bad how will it power on the led's inside the screen?? Yes there may be problems because of bad cable but not 'always' / 'all the time'.

WhiteyB

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
I think you confused or misread what I said... yes we established that either the screen or cable is bad. even if the cable is fully plugged in does not mean its going to send the data but the LEDs will still work or vice versa (no backlight but the data still displays) because he stated its a "white screen all the time" and "external monitor works" tells me that the video chip is still good and no need for a reflow. also I added that the cable/port is very delicate meaning even if he did replace both? (not to dog anyone, but) does not mean the job was done with delicate hands.... sorry for the confusion.
90% of the time, it's the user NOT the computer.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »
Btw, they have said that they replaced the screen and the cable inside if you missed it. Yes but i agree to your last point that the cable is delicate and if not handled or fixed properly can create problems.