Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring a hard drive, complete w/os into another computer  (Read 3860 times)

Retireded

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Transferring a hard drive, complete w/os into another computer
    « on: December 13, 2013, 03:17:11 PM »
    I have a dead computer in my juke box and want to transfer the hd into one that works. When i tried, the computer would not boot using the os in the hd.  To complicate it, the windows version in the hd im trying to use is in Spanish.  Anyone have any ideas? ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Transferring a hard drive, complete w/os into another computer
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 08:06:59 PM »
    Welcome to CH.
    You have posted in the Windows part of the forum.
    If you are using SunOS, your question should be given to the UNIX and Linux experts. In general, no Windows  OS will read the files. You will need a computer with a compatible Linux  system.

Furthermore, the old computer may be a workstation or server  that has hardware much different from a Personal Computer.

Anyway, the procedure is to 'slave ' the hard drive as a secondary drive and mount in into the Linux OS.

Some details about the jukebox? How old is it? Who made it?

Salmon Trout

Re: Transferring a hard drive, complete w/os into another computer
    « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 01:33:37 AM »
    As far as I can see, the original poster made no mention of any Linux or Unix installation; he posted in the Windows Vista section; he mentions he is trying to use a "Spanish version of Windows". Also, I suspect that "juke box" is a typo or mistake and "junk box" is what is meant.

Anyhow:  Retireded, the answer to your question is "Each installation of Windows is tailored to the hardware found at install time. In most cases, therefore, you cannot move a hard drive with Windows on it to another computer and expect it to work. In your case you definitely cannot, as you have already found". Any ideas? Using a legal, properly licensed Windows install disk, format the hard disk and make a fresh install of Windows.