Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: using the hdd on playstation 2  (Read 8424 times)

gettingbigj1978

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    using the hdd on playstation 2
    « on: October 22, 2005, 02:28:41 AM »
    i tried to find the answer to myself on the forums, but as i know almost nothing about hdd and ide cables and partitioning etc, i hoped to save myself some grief by asking here

i have a 40g hd on my computer already.  its a celeron d 2.66ghz.  ive never added components to my computer before, except for the dvd burner, which im still not entirely sure if its hooked up correctly.

the 40g hdd that comes with the network adapter on the playstation 2 has the same input/output as the cables that connect my hdd, floppy, cd, and dvd players onto the motherboard.  is it possible to connect my ps2 hard drive to my computer?  im not sure of the architecture of most hdd's, but the ide input and power source are on teh same side if that helps installation at all.

if youve done this before, or know if it could be done, please let me know as im itchin for more memory. thanks!

GX1_Man

Re: using the hdd on playstation 2
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 06:26:02 AM »
    Well memory and hard drive are 2 different things., but I believe that is a standard drive in the  game consolde. If you are that desperate that you want to cannibalize it then go ahead, but I wonder about the other implications. Are you through gaming on the console?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 07:00:40 AM »
    If the PS2 has the corract input/output port AND cord, then I don't see why it wouldn't work... However... You would only be able to use the hard disk on ONE system... It can not be hooked-up to both... Does it say anything about this in your PS2 instruction manual? If you don't know much about cables and partitioning, etc., then I do not suggest starting this project unless you have step-by-step instructions... Another thing... Make sure that the power supply in the PS2 supports your hard disk... Not good if it doesn't... Good luck...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gettingbigj1978

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 04:35:07 PM »
      oh man you threw in some variables i didnt even think about (power).  my biggest concern, from what i read in the forums, is that if the second hard drive is slower (they measure them in rpms?) then both drives go by the slower speed.

still havent figured out how to measure that one.  tried using different tools from various sites.  since sony doesnt have a dedicated computer component site, im still unsure what, if any, drivers would work on it.  

suprisingly though, the ps2 hdd IS compatible, theroetically.  i followed step by step, with the jumper set to slave etc, eide cable and power cord.  while the instructions say you cant put more than 3g's of force on it, im sure i put way more jamming it into the bay (the hdd for ps2 is slightly wider to compensate for console) but i jammed it in there square hole in circle style.

ive run kill disk and it made one partition on the new drive.  im unsure of the jargon though, unpartitioned, allocated, primary, active.  i know what they mean, but in terms of hdd, no clue.  everything apears fine.  no damage to master hdd, despite the pounding and jamming.  

assuming the hdd is some foreign brand, or, a non existent brand, what driver could i use for it?  im assuming now that i formatted the hdd for ps2 without using the playstation's hdd utility disc, that the hdd is now just your average, run of the mill hdd.  does it matter the brand like it matters the website?  the directions on the ps2 hdd say not to use it outside of the playstation 2, so theres no help there.  as far as power, should i be concerned about the hdd? or the source of the power (the box with all the wires sourcing power to the components).  

really juming in head first on this one.  could use some guidance por favor

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 04:54:55 PM »
      What is the purpose of doing this to a ps2?

gettingbigj1978

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 05:45:05 PM »
        i think i told my problem wrong.  i wanted to take the hdd from the playstation 2 and put it on my computer as a supplement.  now that ive cleaned the new drive, "partitioned it", i dont know what to do.  

as for the ps2, i hardly use the hdd for that, i figured i could use the extra space on my computer.  ps2 still usable though

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 06:13:15 PM »
        Not anymore! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

gettingbigj1978

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 06:31:58 PM »
          ? the hdd on the ps2 is supplemental as well, it can operate on whatever is inside the console.

im still needing some help.  i found different sights with different drivers, but i still dont know how to install the hdd on to my computer.  is it a motherboard driver? a cd/dvd driver?  if i need a driver, how would i load it?

i should probably get started reading the forums

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 06:50:04 PM »
          It doesn't need drivers. How did you partition it ? ?
          All you have left to make it usable now is to format it assuming it was partitioned correctly.

patio.  8)
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 07:12:21 PM »
          if you are adding it as a secondary drive, it must be jumpered as a slave drive and the originaol drive jumpered as master.

Then the PS/2 drive needs to be partitioned as an extended DOS partiton with fdisk. WHen this happens it will also be tagged as a logical DOS drive.

When you reboot it will show up as a new drive and can be formatted for use.

gettingbigj1978

Topic Starter

Rookie
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 08:11:07 PM »
            i partitioned the slave drive using killdisc, which is a result of executing the program. to add the hdd so that my computer not only recognizes it as hardware in profiles, but be given a drive letter as well (in my case G), i went into autoexec.bat and added smartdrv.exe, and in config.sys, the line, device=himem.sys. copying these files from the XP install disc, i went into install program which walked me through the rest.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 08:12:26 PM »
            So your problem is resolved then?  ::) ::) ::)

gettingbigj1978

Topic Starter

Rookie
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 08:30:47 PM »
              i hope so. i will know shortly, setup completes soon. i just think its odd im installing windows twice (c: and g:).  at the os choose screen, i have 2 choices. does this mean both drives r not integrated?

gettingbigj1978

Topic Starter

Rookie
              • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                « Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 08:36:47 PM »
                ok, now i think its resolved.  im typing this one on my g drive.  c drive looks like its accessible.  i thought that adding this hard drive would just give me an extra letter on my c drive, but as it turns out, the g drive runs on its own configuration.  did i do something wrong?  or is this how having an extra hdd acts?

gettingbigj1978

Topic Starter

Rookie
                • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                  « Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 08:46:34 PM »
                  and this one is from the c drive.  i think i get what happened.  what would be the benefit of doing this?  im sure it would make more sense if the other os was something different i guess.  would information exchange be faster depending on the drive i chose to run certain programs on?  would i be able to toggle between the two seamlessly? or are they independent of each other, and cant access the same resources at the same time?