Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard drive problem  (Read 2348 times)

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
External Hard drive problem
« on: January 03, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »

Hi
  We've got a problem with a seagate 1TB external harddrive in that we can't use it. Basically the pc has trouble finding and then can't use it. The manager say's it's there but it's not showing when you click on the computer button in the start menu.

When I bought up the properties through the manager for it to format it , everything went ok until the format started when we got the message - windows cannot format this drive. I downloaded the seagate tool and doing the 'long generic' scan it showed nothing but fails. Tried to do checkdisc but it couldn't/wouldn't find the drive.

On the computer screen now where it shows the different drives , for the ext. hd it shows the drive letter but no diagram like the one for the int. hd with amount of memory used and when we open properties both the free and used memory both show 0

This has now happened on 2 PC's both running different windows 7 op's ( 1 home , 1 ultimate ) with the same result. Don't realy know what to do next , any idea's short of throwing it ?

Thanks , Adam

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: External Hard drive problem
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:17:01 PM »
Hi

With the tests you have done and the results posted the drive needs to be replaced.
Return it under warranty some Seagate external drives have a 3 year warranty.
If it isn't under warrantee and is a USB 3.0 case then would be worth installing a replacement hard drive into the case.
You don't say how old the drive is or the model
If there is important information on the drive there are other things that a recovery company can do to recover the data.
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan