Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: would this bluray drive be good for me?  (Read 3151 times)

STC

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
would this bluray drive be good for me?
« on: January 28, 2014, 06:31:25 AM »
been looking to get a blueray drive but got a few questions.

1. looking at this one, can I just unmount my current dvd drive and put this bluray drive in its place? will this bluray drive also read/write dvds/cds? Will it use the same power connecter (from my power supply) and sata cable that my dvd drive is using?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7462667&CatId=3634

2. With the new UHD 4k technology, will bluray soon be obsolete, or can bluray produce more than 1080p?
~STC

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: would this bluray drive be good for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:36:58 AM »
Assuming your PC takes a standard SATA drive then it will work fine and will burn as well as write.

Also note that as far as I'm aware you will need special software to play back Bluray discs and this costs money - An example of this would be Cyberlink PowerDVD.  Most standard DVD playback software will not work with Bluray discs.

As far as your second question goes - I'd say that optical media is already out of date - With the advent of services like Netflix and Spotify - I can't actually think of the last time I played/bought a DVD or CD and I've already ripped my existing DVDs to a PC to make it easier to access them.

STC

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »
Assuming your PC takes a standard SATA drive then it will work fine and will burn as well as write.

Also note that as far as I'm aware you will need special software to play back Bluray discs and this costs money - An example of this would be Cyberlink PowerDVD.  Most standard DVD playback software will not work with Bluray discs.

As far as your second question goes - I'd say that optical media is already out of date - With the advent of services like Netflix and Spotify - I can't actually think of the last time I played/bought a DVD or CD and I've already ripped my existing DVDs to a PC to make it easier to access them.

is it possible to stream new movies like the hobbit? i had netflix but all the movies i really wanted to watch like lord of the rings and star wars  you had to wait for the DVD to come in the mail.  also do they stream in 1080p? (last tiem i checked IE: youtube has the hobbit u gotta pay 10$ and its in 360p :/

also sucks cus places like amazon instant video u gotta pay to buy it - wish you could just pay a few dollars less and watch it one time. which is why i rather just go to the video store and rent a bluray of the hobbit.

also the drives don't come with any software to watch bluray?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:42:43 AM by STC »
~STC

STC

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »
been reading that even though blu rays are obsolete thanks to streaming, they still provide a superior picture quality, and that's whats more important to me right now.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/01/04/yes-blu-ray-is-better-than-streaming-video-but-its/
~STC