Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need advice on my gaming pc  (Read 3436 times)

googleismyfriend

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Need advice on my gaming pc
    « on: January 30, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »
    So this will be my first ever computer that is home built, I'm completely UN aware of components that are viable for use, compatible ect so I've been asking others for good builds. I aim to run sc2 at high fps on any quality ( even low )' my budget is £500, it may be able to stretch but not much. I don't wish to save at the moment as I don't have much to do and really need a new computer. Here is the current computer build I'm going to run:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2JQpy
    Other recommendations are greatly  appreciates, but if you can please include whY it would be good, as I can't understand computer language some simple English would be nice  ;D anyway thanks for all your help guys, its greatly appreciates!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need advice on my gaming pc
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »
    For an Intel build this looks good. I'd go with a Core i5 for gaming, but a Core i3 will work with a good video card as you have linked. This build also I dont see any problems with. Gigabyte is a good brand of motherboard etc.

Only suggestion I have looking at the hardware is that if there is an option to get 1 x 8GB stick vs 2 x 4GB sticks, you may want to do that instead, so that down the road when you upgrade to more RAM, your not stuck throwing away 4GB sticks to populate it with all 8GB sticks, but instead you can add more 8GB sticks for 16, 24, 32GB etc with 2, 3, or 4 sticks later on. * 8GB by the way is plenty for now. I have a new build with 8GB RAM of the DDR3 1600 and the most memory I have consumed so far is 4.5GB of it with  3.5GB free and that was gaming with 2 copies of World of Warcraft running at the same time so that I could solo a Raid which requires a group of 2 minimum players and so I had my wifes acct active on a minimized duplicate launch of WoW while I played on the other instance of WoW, while also multitasking other stuff, and playing music on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium with my new build with old CPU quadcore awaiting price of the 8-core AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz Turbo to come down which would max out the supported processing power of this new build.

Intel is the way to go if you have the money for it. I have been mainly an AMD customer for last 11 years with no complaints in performance. Although Intel is currently in the lead performance wise until they (AMD) implement better design to an aged core construction. Intel has moved on to a newer design and AMD is lagging in the design, so they are pushing their older core technology harder with more wattage running them hotter to compete with Intel currently and need to play catch up before they reach physical limitations of painting themselves into a corner essentially with Intel not as restricted to move forwards. But with a good video card and a good AMD processor, the games run just as good if comparing apples to apples hardware & cpu wise between AMD and INTEL and without a side by side benchmark with no indication of Computer A or B being Intel or AMD the user would not likely be able to point out the AMD out of the group without cheating by looking at the hardware setup or peeking into the tower.

googleismyfriend

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »
      Thanks alot this was the best reply I've glad for any question I've had before.  :D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »
      Good work there, that's an impressive first build.  Perhaps compare and contrast this as an alternative build - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2KPSq
      The CPU is better value IMO as it's only 100MHz slower but over £10 cheaper.  If you do decide to spend a little more, you can pick up an i5 for not much more though and I would recommend this if possible.
      The GPU is better, the 650Ti is better than the 650 by more than you'd think as the names are so similar - though it's worth looking to see if you can free up a little more cash to upgrade it further.
      This build includes an SSD instead of a HDD, obviously if you absolutely need the storage then stick with the HDD, but personally I wouldn't put a build together without an SSD these days.
      The case is a matter of personal choice, I've had the Fractal in your list and it's a good case, but will only take mATX boards - the Bitfenix will take ATX boards and should also be better for cooling.
      The board again gives you more room for expansion and better features, plus a higher end chipset.
      Finally the DVD drive is the same in terms of features, just cheaper, and the OS is cheaper as it's Windows 8 rather than 8.1 but 8.1 is a free update anyway.