Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: disadvantages of an external (usb) optical drive?  (Read 3140 times)

STC

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
disadvantages of an external (usb) optical drive?
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »
Been thinking of getting a external blu ray burner to play blu ray movies and burn cds/dvds.

Is the only disadvantage of going external usb that it takes a bit longer to burn discs? As for watching blu ray movies will it still be good quality?

My internal dvd drive crapped out recently and I want to get a external blu ray drive.
~STC

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: disadvantages of an external (usb) optical drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »
Been thinking of getting a external blu ray burner to play blu ray movies and burn cds/dvds.

Is the only disadvantage of going external usb that it takes a bit longer to burn discs? As for watching blu ray movies will it still be good quality?

My internal dvd drive crapped out recently and I want to get a external blu ray drive.

I do not think that an External Burner or Optical drive would have any real disadvantage functionality wise.

A Blu-Ray is about the fastest required read-speed, and that is 32MBit/s, which is well within the 480MBit/s speed of USB2. The only consideration would be what other devices are being used at the time, since all USB devices on a single root hub will share the 480MBit/s bandwidth.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.