Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows wont start after cleaning cpu fan  (Read 5179 times)

angeck

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    windows wont start after cleaning cpu fan
    « on: March 04, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »
    Hello today i cleaned my stock cpu fan with tap water dried it up and put it back in.
    First windows launched but every program i.e firefox crashed after starting it up.

I then pressed the restart button on the pc as the restart in windows didnt respond and since then windows crashed into a blue screen saying fatal error or something like that.

Ive tried windows recovery, repair and putting another stock fan of the exact same kind. Also it doesnt boot in safe mode.
    Posting this from my phone.
    Thanks in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: windows wont start after cleaning cpu fan
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »
    Hello today i cleaned my stock cpu fan with tap water dried it up and put it back in.

:o

I am guessing that some residual water that may have been under the cap of the fan body got whipped out when it spun up and this water may have made contact with sensitive electronics on the main board.

Introducing water of all things to this was not a very good idea.   :-X   Its best to use canned air or a vacuum cleaner. Although canned air is safer since a vacuum cleaner with dry air can build up a static charge and arc to components when sucking up dust. Both methods vacuum or air pressure you have to be careful your not removing any jumpers from motherboard etc.

If your lucky you can give the computer a few days to air dry and see if it then behaves. This drying process can be accelerated with a hair dryer, but you do not want to overheat components with a hair dryer either.

:-\ You may have damaged your system permanently by this act of using water to clean the CPU fan. If your lucky you will only have to replace the heatsink/fan and be back up and running. There is a small circuit board out of view at the core of this CPU fan that sends magnetic pulses to a magnet that is shaped like a ring under the center cap. If there was still a small drop of water in there under IC legs when powered it could have sent 5 volts to the 3rd wire the tach, and I am unsure as to if sending 5 volts directly to this tach leg if it will destroy a motherboard or not as for I have never intentionally done this to see what happens.

Best of luck with this, but I have doubts if this can be fixed if it doesnt go away after a few days to air dry and CPU heatsink/fan replaced. Also I would leave this computer unplugged from wall power for a few days if air drying as for this way if water is under IC legs that are soft powered you will not have electrolysis destroying chips and motherboard traces. Electrolysis happens when a drop of water forms a circuit in electronics and causes almost an acid like reaction of damage to the affected area which can lead to terminal damage of components and board surfaces.   :'(

Also if you removed the heatsink from the CPU thru this process, hopefully you removed the old thermal compound and applied a drop of new thermal compound such as arctic silver which I use, otherwise your CPU may be roasting hot and not adequately cooled which on much older CPUs lead to damage to the CPU ( especially the AMD Athlon XP's ) which would china syndrome (CPU Melt down ) until the power supply would short, while most modern CPUs will thermal throttle to avoid a melt down and the computer will just act very slow.

angeck

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »
      Thanks for the reply.
      As for the part about the water, before putting it under the tap, i dislocated the fan from the round metal thing so no water actually touched the fan at any point. After cleaning i put it next to a warm air spreader(not sure how its called) for about 10 minutes and made sure it looked dry before attaching the fan back.

Also, in my original post ive stated i used another fan which wasnt subjected to water and the problem persisted.

Can you think of any other reason as to why it wouldnt boot up? Because water was unlikely to have any contact with metal curcuits.

Thank you

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:07:13 PM »
      Inspect the RAM to make sure none are improperly seated since you were working around inside. I'd remove them and make sure there is no dust on the contacts and then reinsert them. Use wings at the sides to unlock and carefully remove them. Then reinstall them with paying attention to the notch to line up with key in socket.

angeck

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »
        Thank you very much i will try this tomorrow and post results.

angeck

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »
          Okay so the ram thing didnt work. Im going to try to format the pc because maybe its a software issue.

angeck

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
            Loading from usb doesnt work. Im taking it to a tech store, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

conah10

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 12:35:34 AM »
              Hi are you sure it didint get into the ram sound card or the wires were they are connected? ???

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 05:26:00 AM »
              Feel free to ignore the above post.

Aussies-Online

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 12:26:28 AM »
                Funny... I just joined this forum because I have a similar problem.
                I decided to clean 4 years of dust out of my computer before installing Windows 7.
                Not with water... but with a little brush and a vacuum cleaner.
                Cleaned the CPU fan and the power supply fan.
                It all worked fine for a few days
                And one morning... I could not re-start the computer.
                No power at the power switch.
                I immediately thought that the power supply was dead.
                Took it to the local shop to have it tested. It was fine.
                I put it back in... and the computer started again.
                It worked for 7 days... and one night I noticed that after shutting down the computer... both the fan on the CPU and in the power supply was still turning.
                And sure enough... no power at the power switch to re-start the computer.
                So I pulled the main cable from the power supply out of the motherboard.
                And then plugged it back in
                And the computer started again
                Since I had this computer for 4 years and never had such problem
                My guess is that it is related to Windows 7 not shutting down the computer properly.
                Maybe some adjustment need to be made in the BIOS?
                Anyone who can provide me with ideas or clues would be greatly appreciated.
                Cheers
                Patrick

DaveLembke

Sage
                « Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
                Welcome to Computer Hope Aussies-Online

However it would be best to start a new thread for help than to post to another persons problem which may be like your own. If you would like to relate to this thread, you can link it in your own thread.  Many people look for ( 0 ) post counts to hit those to assist vs opening posts that show a reply count which may be resolved.