Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cannot find network adapters to reinstall  (Read 4612 times)

jaslyne

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
cannot find network adapters to reinstall
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:26:40 PM »
Having issues connecting to internet - tried to run network diag, it brought up error in xpnetdiag.exe. was told to check device mgr for any problems showing, it listed 4 network adapters, 3 of which had issues. was told to uninstall them and let windows search for and reinstall them. windows isn't finding any o.o so not able to reinstall. ran full system boot virus scan, found many infections, mostly located in >system information>restore. My issue is not being able to reinstall the network adapters I need, and unable to connect to the internet. If anyone has any ideas, they're much appreciated. ty!
The Golden Rule rules!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: cannot find network adapters to reinstall
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:14:18 PM »
You did say any ideas. My idea is you need to get ready for panic mode. Panic mode is not listed in the XP user's manual. Yo0u ha veto build 'yo  own panic mode.

Locate your original XP install CD. And the product key. Look in you junk box for a  working HDD. Sometime soon, make a new install of XP on the spare HDD. This is to be part of your panic mode plan.

Here is why I say this. MS is going to cut back on XP support. Critical backups may continue, but some things might not be available soon. So have a a good working version of XP on another drive is a big plus for resolving g strange problems.
Works for me.

The virus may have destroyed some things needed by the hardware. Run the chip set install again and sew if that helps.

BTW: You did not include information about your computer and its history.
You may want to use this free d download to see what you PC has inside.
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,61970.0.html
Everest Home is virus-free and does not harm a computer.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:26:28 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 03:43:28 PM »
Ignore Geeks Post about going into panic mode please...
Post as much info you have on the PC and we can assist finding proper drivers for it.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »
It may simply be that the network adapter in your computer has failed and needs to be replaced.  The only way to determine that would be to install a different one.  They aren't very expensive so, if you don't have a friend that could lend you one, you wouldn't be out a large sum to buy a new one and try installing it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »
It may be a laptop...let's wait for a reply before speculating...

jaslyne

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 10:29:32 AM »
HP Compaq dc7600 - P4/3.2ghz, 3.24 gb ram (sorry forgot to put this info) and it is a tower. Network shows it's working, but cannot connect via IE, no other browsers installed. Thank you for your help! and I do think it's virus related, ran scan and over 200 infections, mostly in system/restore file - virus was a win32 - mindspark-A?
The Golden Rule rules!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »
Many infections can block web access...Travel to the Virus section here and Post your logs...someone will be along shortly.

jaslyne

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Ok. Found computer on HP site and downloaded/installed (from flashdrive) every network adapter. Tried to connect again, cannot. Ran IE diagnostic when it popped up - told me to reboot modem/router, did that, and I get this: Runtime Error! Program: C:/windows/networkdiagnostic/xpnetdiag.exe - This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. Is that Ms?
The Golden Rule rules!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 12:17:52 PM »
Many infections can block web access...Travel to the Virus section here and Post your logs...someone will be along shortly.