Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Inject" a new user profile onto an hdd with a corrupt one?  (Read 3371 times)

Sparx

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    "Inject" a new user profile onto an hdd with a corrupt one?
    « on: March 15, 2014, 06:44:48 AM »
    Hi, over the past couple of days I've been having a problem in which I can no longer boot to the desktop on my most used OS (I have a total of 4 HDD's on my computer, each with a separate installation of Windows 7). I'm unable to fix the problem despite rigorous attempts to scan for bad sectors/startup repairs (sfc /scannow has also proven futile). When I do try to boot to desktop, bios and post blaze on through like normal and the OS hangs at the welcome screen and flashes occasionally to a black screen briefly then resumes the other one. Also, the word "welcome" is not visible and when I force power off (my only choice), I'm met with a brief display of a strange arrangement of shapes and symbols. The same thing happens when I try to boot into safe mode. I'm able to move the mouse freely during this odd hanging without the loading blue circle, and my HDD light flashes normally, indicating reading of some sort. I'm convinced this is because of user profile corruption, but if you feel like that is not the case, please feel free to provide any useful information you have on solving the issue. I cannot do an in place upgrade as I'm unable to boot to the desktop. I do not wish to re-install windows and I'm certain there is a technological cure for this mishap.. One theory I had in mind is that if I could somehow create a new user profile for the affected drive using one of the other OS' I have connected, this would be solved at the welcome screen, as I could then choose to load into the new profile instead of the OS automatically picking the infected one and locking up. Another theory is that perhaps I could use one of the other OS' to perform an in place upgrade for the affected drive..

So, as the title suggests, is there a way for me to inject the affected drive with a fresh user profile using a separate HDD? Again, they're all connected to the same motherboard, so keep in mind that I do have access to all of the files on the affected drive, so this does seem relatively simple.. I just haven't come across a way to do it.

Also, if the profile thing isn't possible, could I some how repair the affected OS from one of the working OS'? I have the installation disk..

Thanks in advance!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: "Inject" a new user profile onto an hdd with a corrupt one?
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
    I'm met with a brief display of a strange arrangement of shapes and symbols
    This leads me to believe the issue may be with your display adapter. It would also explain the black screen flickering, and missing image elements (such as welcome text).
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.