Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Think my new(ish) hard drive is failing.  (Read 3113 times)

taylor189

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Think my new(ish) hard drive is failing.
    « on: March 28, 2014, 06:55:38 PM »
    I'm pretty sure but I just want some confirmation. I'm running windows 7 (build 7601) and back in november I had to get a new HDD because i dropped my laptop and the disk broke(possibly other things but i'm unsure). I got a new 1TB seagate HDD/SD hybrid (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340) to replace it and it has been working really well for the most part.

But about 2 months in I began having troubles installing video games and programs. Usually I'll get a "disk write error" but occasionally it works, but never if it has failed on that program. I can try to install notepad++ and it will fail every time, but i try to install fallout once and it works. It seems like it must be that the harddrive is failing but I have a month left of school and have plenty of important documents/programs on here and would rather try to make it last till may then send it in right now. Thoughts/suggestions?

Edit: Forgot to mention... programs like firefox will close down randomly without reason while I'm using them, and some programs close down during use and then can't be accessed again, as if they aren't installed and only the shortcut is left.
    Edit2: Figured I'd try to create a new user account and see if I had any better luck on that, but I can't even access it. It doesn't show up when i try to switch users and when i try to put the pass/username in it fails.
    « Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:09:14 PM by taylor189 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Think my new(ish) hard drive is failing.
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »
    You have to send the drive back ASAP.
    First, make backups of vital data you have.

taylor189

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »
      that bad? alright hope they can get me a new one soon

Nytestorm

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
        Sound like it's starting to go bad.  Backup what you can and then send it back, while it's still under warranty

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:04:50 PM »
        This is from the CH archives:

Receiving S.M.A.R.T. status bad backup and replace error

Also, the S.M.A.R.T.  is not a full diagnostic or prognosis. It is an early warning and most users should believe it. Furthermore, any sign of hard drive failure is a reason to get tight on the problem.  In some cases the  HDD can fail instantly. With or without a warning.