Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Updated Drivers >>Things Went Wrong<<  (Read 4680 times)

ryankc16

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Updated Drivers >>Things Went Wrong<<
    « on: March 31, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »
    Hello, I recently downloaded AVG's Driver Update Program, it stated that I had 24 drivers out of date and it started to update them for me. During the update it also asked me to install 'AMD Catalyst Control Center', while CCC was installing my screen resolution got smaller (The best way I can describe this is, the screen was no longer going to the edges of my monitor, it had a small 2cm black box around the screen separating my screen and monitor)

I assumed that these black boxes would only be here during the installation process of CCC. After CCC had finished installing it asked me to restart my computer and that it would take a bit longer than usual due to the new drivers. Upon restarting and finally getting back to my desktop screen it was apparent that the black boxes were still there. I quickly headed to my screen resolution settings and noticed that nothing had changed as it still stated i was on 1920x1080 (my normal Res) so I decided to lower my resolution to 1776 x 1000 and then revert back to 1920x1080. This fixed the problem and the black boxes were gone and everything seemed normal. I then proceeded to start up my usual games and quickly noticed that upon tabbing out/Minimizing a full screened game, the game would no longer re maximize, the icon of the game is still on the 'Task Bar' but as I click it, nothing happens, it will not reopen even though I am still able to hear game sounds running.

Every-time I restart my computer the black boxes reappear until I go into the resolution settings and scale my resolution down and then revert back.

I had a search online as to why these black boxes are appearing and to why when I minimize games I can no longer maximize them back. a few people online said that this issue is because of the driver updates and there is a quick fix to this buy going into the catalyst control center and selecting the resolution I am using, But the issue with this is CCC will not open, I click it in my start menu and nothing happened, I've even waited several hours for it to maybe open, but nothing.

Please can anyone help me out here, this issue is seriously bugging me as I don't want to have to always change my resolution upon start up and I need to ability to minimize/maximize games.

Thank you
    Ryan

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Updated Drivers >>Things Went Wrong<<
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »
    I despise driver update apps...
    Un-install the Catylyst software and reboot...if necessary re-install the original drivers from the CD that the card shipped with.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "