Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows background only after a very large update on Windows 7 Home Prem OA  (Read 3704 times)

Badger Bill

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    I know all the Ctrl. Alt. Delete stuff and have tried all the start up options eg. safe mode, last good con etc but windows will not run. All that I can get is a light blue, or a standard windows background or a light blue screen with the little box tools loading. Not a thing more only access to the black F10 menu and the F11 but tried all that.
    It's the wife's laptop, Sony, she just emails and writes stories so it never works very hard but now about 6 years old it's had lots of automatic Windows updates.
    Shut down on night and the screen indicated updates had started to load there were so many that she had to let it run and run for an hour or so. We had just moved house and had only a O2 3G connection to the internet and it had a poor signal.
    The next morning the windows background only and no task bar, icons or Windows start icon.
    The Windows update must be the thing that is blocking any recovery.
    I have tried Start in last good, but nothing, I have lost the recovery disc I made in a packing case when we moved house.
    Can I Boot in up and write something to boot the recovery?
    Any ideas! Any help please. Thanks.
    Badger Bill

Badger Bill

Topic Starter

Starter

There is a pointer arrow that I can move around the screen but there is nothing to click on. Could the hard drive be damaged after moving house? How can I find out if it is hardware damage or the Windows update that is the problem?
      If I can make some kind of RECOVERY it would be great, any ideas most welcome.
      Than you
      Bill

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Win 7 Startup Repair...

Bring us good news...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Badger Bill

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks for the link to the recovery down load. The big problem is the fact that the Windows will not past the 'Starting Windows ' screen the windows icon with the 4 colours comes together on the screen and then just hangs. I can get it to the point when it says 'windows files now loading' and then only a window background screen with clouds and a pointer arrow that I can move. There is nothing to click on so how can I load any discs or use any tools.
        I have had a go at all the F8 menu controls and nothing works beyond a 'please wait' or 'tool loading'.
        I just wait and wait.
        Help
        Please if you can.
        Bill

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        From the link Patio gave.
        Warning
        Startup Repair cannot fix hardware failures, such as a failing hard disk or incompatible memory, nor does it protect against virus attacks. Startup Repair is not designed to fix Windows installation problems. Startup Repair is not a backup tool, so it cannot help you recover personal files, such as photos or documents. To help protect your computer, back up your system and files regularly.

If your computer has a major hardware failure, that issue must be resolved first.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        Thanks for the link to the recovery down load. The big problem is the fact that the Windows will not past the 'Starting Windows ' screen the windows icon with the 4 colours comes together on the screen and then just hangs. I can get it to the point when it says 'windows files now loading' and then only a window background screen with clouds and a pointer arrow that I can move. There is nothing to click on so how can I load any discs or use any tools.
        I have had a go at all the F8 menu controls and nothing works beyond a 'please wait' or 'tool loading'.
        I just wait and wait.

Help
        Please if you can.
        Bill

The Startup Repair is initialised well before Windows loads...read thru the instructions again.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "