Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive consistency check - windows 7  (Read 3098 times)

texasjim

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hard drive consistency check - windows 7
    « on: April 18, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
    I have a system set up where I install a windows 7 drive, then I remove the drive and plug in a configured windows 8.1 drive. Doing this allows me to do work on either system without buying another unit. Here is the issue: until recently I could swap these drives and do my work and use a second HDD that has the data files and there was no problem writing/reading the files on the storage unit. Now it seems (due to some system updates on 8.1 I assume) every time I swap from 8.1 to 7, I have to run a complete consistency check on the storage drive(s) when I plug in the windows 7 unit - unless the storage unit is a USB drive. I have found it necessary to remove the installed data storage drives connected to the sata ports and connect the data units via USB ports. Then everything works and I can use the data storage units with either operating system. It's a real pain in the rear to have this happen now. Is this due to the recent updates to 8.1?? when I go to 8.1 from 7, there isn't any call for a consistency  check in the 8.1 OS - just when I go from 8.1 to 7.

This is a recent event and it happens now with the most recent 'updates' to the windows 8.1 OS drives - swapping from that drive to windows 7 (pro or home premium) causes the windows 7 to call for the check.

Help, anyone?

Thanks to all.....

texasjim

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hard drive consistency check - windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »
    Have you tried turning indexing off for both OS to see if that helps? I had some strangeness happening between Linux Mint 16 and Windows 7 on a system where there was 2 hard drives installed. The first hard drive was partitioned in half with 1 half for Windows 7 and the other half for Linux Mint 16. The second hard drive was where data was stored so that no matter what OS I chose from the grub boot option, my data was there and not isolated on that other OS. I had similar consistency checks popping up with Windows 7, and I thought that maybe the HDD was failing.

I ran Crystal Disk Info to check out the health of both hard drives and they were healthy. I did some research and saw info related to Windows Indexing causing problems with dual-boot Linux/Windows systems and the cure was to disable Indexing.

I disabled Indexing and the problem was resolved.

Maybe your seeing a similar issue and disabling Indexing will cure it as well. Its worth a try  :)

It seemed like this issue was more frequent when data was added or removed from the second hard drive, but if data remained the same there was no problems. Linux was happy with the 2nd hard drives data no matter if files were added/removed, or altered. But Windows 7 didnt like changes that occured by Linux to the second hard drive and so Windows 7 complained  about consistency checks.

texasjim

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Hard drive consistency check - windows 7
      « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
      As a rule, I don't turn on indexing so there is something else going on. All this started (it seems) with one of the latest updates for 8.1 but I'll look again. Two systems run simarly show the same effect....

Thanks for the suggestion.....