Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD/CDROM shows as hard drive  (Read 3329 times)

bud malcolm

DVD/CDROM shows as hard drive
« on: October 27, 2005, 11:03:55 AM »
Hi hope I am in the correct place for this question.
I have a toshiba 2595xdvd laptop. Windows ME.

I had to manually delete some files to de-install something. When I got done, I had 2 problems: DNS error (which I managed to correct), & now in my computer, it shows disc D, my dvd/cdrom drive as a local disc. The icon even changed.

In device manager properties cdrom shows working properly, drivers updated etc, but in performance, it shows there as operating in ms dos compatibilty mode.

In device manager, it does not show as local disc D, it still shows as cdrom drive toshiba sd-c2102
If I click drive D in my computer, it pops up w a message "D;\ refers to a location which is unavailable"...etc.
If I pop in a cd, same pop up.

I have powerdvd in this, & I can play a dvd in file mode, if I create a playlist from it, so I believe the drive is good, especially since it worked before the files got deleted. If I pop in a dvd, & go to dvd mode, it shows "no disc in drive" through powerdvd. Eject does not work through powerdvd, but it does from right click menu on drive D. I also have realplayer, that plays a dvd fine, IF thedisc is inserted before I open it. Autoplay will not work.

If anyone is wondering what I deleted, & what started all this, it was zonealarm security version 6 point something, which seems to be a big problem all over, look at their boards. I followed their clean uninstall directions to a T

I'm pretty much a beginner with computers, have not found any references to this sort of problem after days and days of googling.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

thanks, bud

merlin_2

Re: DVD/CDROM shows as hard drive
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 06:04:07 PM »
try again

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:13:39 PM »
Some error has changed that drive back to PIO mode...this will not be very good on burn projects.
I would go to Control Panel/System/ Device Manager and delete the drive. You will get a warning message ignore it.

Then go back to Explorer and do the same as well as My Computer.
Re-boot the system, Windows will re-detect it in the correct mode. In the Add Hardware window point it to your drivers and re-install them. Your shortcuts to the drive will be recreated automatically as well.
Then return to Control Panel...etc. and check to see the settings are correct.

I almost forgot. If your CD drivers are on a CD copy them to a Dir on your HDD so you can find them on re-boot to re-install them.

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bud malcolm

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 08:49:49 PM »
"Some error has changed that drive back to PIO mode...this will not be very good on burn projects.
I would go to Control Panel/System/ Device Manager and delete the drive. You will get a warning message ignore it."

Does this mean to 'remove' the device? If so, I have done that a bunch of times, in safe mode too.  Whaat do you mean 'ignore it'? I get a warning I am about to remove a device, boxes for either yes, or no. Which one should I be clicking? Clicking no just cancels, but I see no way to ignore it. So exactly what do you mean by  'delete', & 'ignore' ?

"Then go back to Explorer and do the same as well as My Computer."

Well I am a beginner for sure, but there is no option to delete or remove anything in 'My Computer', maybe I am missing it, if so how do I do that?

"Re-boot the system, Windows will re-detect it in the correct mode. In the Add Hardware window point it to your drivers and re-install them. Your shortcuts to the drive will be recreated automatically as well."

I never see any indication of windows finding new hardware, like say adding a PnP USB device would show.
When I reboot, no matter what mode, it is just there again...

"Then return to Control Panel...etc. and check to see the settings are correct."

Wish I had a nickel for everytime I had done that, I could buy a brand new computer for all of us.

I almost forgot. If your CD drivers are on a CD copy them to a Dir on your HDD so you can find them on re-boot to re-install them."

Again, this is waaaay over my head. According to everything I have found, the drivers are already in the laptop, or the device does not need one. The model number of the DVD/CDROM is sd-c2102. Tyhe laptop is a 2595xdvd. Excatly what driver does it need? The thing shows the best driver is already installed when I update the driver. When I have added one anyway, it shows with a yellow exclaimation point
I find no drivers for it at toshiba support's website for this model.

Anyone out there wanna try repairing this thing for me? I am about ready to try the fine adjustment tool, you know, the one that looks like a 3 LB sledge...What would a reasonable fee for this be IF I could find someone locally?