Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NEC Multisync Monitor problem  (Read 2866 times)

danhughes

Topic Starter

Starter

NEC Multisync Monitor problem
    « on: May 01, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
    I bought a used 1880SX monitor.  When I connect it my desktop computer with a normal monitor cable, I get the computer output, but I also get a flashing box in the middle of the screen:

I have tried pushing every button on the front of the monitor to make this flashing box go away, but I cannot get rid of it.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

---Dan

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: NEC Multisync Monitor problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »
    What happens if you leave the PC on and power off the monitor for 1 minute ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: NEC Multisync Monitor problem
    « Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:05:55 PM »
    Does it do this with another different computer such as a laptop with VGA output etc. If it does the same thing on a different computer then its the display and may be why the old owner got rid of it.

Do you still have contact with the seller to return it if its broken or was this a blind sale with no ability to get money back such as at a flea market or sold as-is on ebay etc?

There was a flat screen 8 years ago that did the same thing and I diagnosed it down to a bunch of bad capacitors for the logic board for the display which was part of the display interface buttons. I was able to replace these leaking caps and the problem went away. I thought that the bad capacitor issue hit mainly motherboards and power supplies, but this dell display had electrolytics in it that were bad ones and the ripple was causing for the display control interface to think that the menu button was being pressed over and over again so the same symptoms of what you have with a flashing menu box for the display properties.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague