Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: why is my gpu core temp 60c idle?  (Read 21461 times)

computerNoob898

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    why is my gpu core temp 60c idle?
    « on: May 15, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »
    why is my gpu core temp 60c idle? its usually at 40c idle. after I play a graphics intensive game and stopped, it went to 60c idle and wont go back to 40c, NOT playing the game! how to fix? is 60c okay?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: why is my gpu core temp 60c idle?
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:53:29 AM »
    Please include the specs for your machine.
    From 40 to 60 C is a long way, but may be inside the specs for your computer.You  do understand  the Graphics card puts an additional  thermal load on  the total case cooling. How long does it take to come back to about 50 C ?

What kind of cooling do you have? Here is a link that covers the basics of PC cooling systems.
    http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/454619-cooling-your-new-pc-water-cooling-options-explained/

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »
    Because of the way that Air cooling works, the temperature of your GPU will rise as the air temperature inside your case rises closer to the temperature of your card.
    The temperature can never really be below the ambient air temperature of the air surrounding the card. 60 Degrees as idle is okay, as long at the temperature under full load doesn't breach 85 Degrees. Some cards are happy at 90-95 Degrees but this is pretty hot.

If this is an AMD card, you should be able to control the fan speed in Catalyst Control Center, allowing you to give additional cooling to the card manually.
    My HD7870 sits around 40 Degrees idle (before I play a game) with the fans on auto (Around 20%) 70ish under full load and will drop back down to 50ish idle. My fan speeds never auto increase at these temperatures. Forcing the fan speed to 100% makes a little bit of noise but can drop my temperature to under 30 Degrees sometimes.

There should be an nVidia equivalent, but I haven't used a nVidia card since the 8600GT  ;D

Depending on the age of the card the thermal paste may need replacing too.

jackj

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 03:23:39 AM »
      Is the cooler tight on the CPU so that it can't be moved? Most of the time the CPU cooler causes the heat when it isn't properly installed. What are your temps at full load? Make sure that your fan is very good for airflow. for example,having 1 fan trying to exhaust all the air that 4 other fans bring in, especially since their all the same rpm, will have worse airflow than having 3 exhaust fans and 2 intake fans. I would try to change at least one of the fans so they are more even.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »
      Simply quitting the game is not gonna cause the temps to drop back to 40c...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "