Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Games minimize randomly/roughly hour long intervals  (Read 4028 times)

MrEasy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Games minimize randomly/roughly hour long intervals
    « on: May 16, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »
    Hello there,

I'm at the end of my rope, so I hope you guys can help.  My wife's system just... cuts to desktop.  It's not a crash--she can click on the minimized icon to immediately pop back into a game, but it certainly makes things difficult when we're playing--well, just about anything.  (It's added an interesting dimension to Hardcore Diablo 3.) It happens on Steam games and non-Steam games. I'm not certain if it happens on any other full screen applications.

I've looked for obvious programs running updates or update checks without success.
    I've looked at the usual suspects: security software (firewall, antivirus, anti-malware), no effect. 
    I've tried checking the Event Viewer and Task Scheduler to see if there was something running in the background at those intervals.  I saw that Adobe Flash Player had something scheduled roughly like that, so I disabled it.  No joy.
    I jumped into regedit and adjusted the Foreground Time Lockout value, no luck.
    All her drivers are up to date.

I'm stumped.  I still suspect it's another process that's screwing things up; I thought about trying to figure out how to log start/end times for processes, but most methods I saw involved some kind of polling, like every 2s or so which won't catch the culprit if it's too quick.

Anyway, her specs:

Processor:  Intel i5-3570 3.4 Ghz
    Gfx: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    Mobo:  MSI Z77A-G43

I'll take any help I can get.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Games minimize randomly/roughly hour long intervals
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »
    Just wanted to throw this out there.... once a user complained of same issue and it was because they were accidentally bumping the Windows Key. The fix was to pry the key up and remove it so that it cant get bumped while frantic fingers are at work when gaming. If you can carefully remove the windows key and see if that solves this, it could be the cause.  ;D

The user was using WASD directional controls and accidentally bumping it between the left CTRL and ALT key. They left the right windows key intact, but you can pop that off safely too maybe.

MrEasy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »
      Hehe.  I wish it was that simple.  I can say with absolute certainty that it isn't an accidental bump on the windows key causing the issue.  While trying the different approaches I described above I'd make a single change, then boot up Goat Simulator 2014 and leave it on while I was working on the adjacent computer--pausing only to move the mouse around every now and then (to prevent any possible idle response causing a similar effect).  Every time, the game would minimize after about an hour or so. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 02:33:56 AM »
      I've seen this occur a few times. In each instance, it was caused by malware.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »
      Based on this statement, I didnt suggest what BC suggested, but BC is right if you have one that is well hidden.
      I've looked at the usual suspects: security software (firewall, antivirus, anti-malware), no effect.

What software have you used for prevention and detection?