Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: win95 says himem.sys is missing when it's not  (Read 32580 times)

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: win95 says himem.sys is missing when it's not
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »
+1 in regards to WinImage to create the floppy image.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 09:00:04 PM »
I'd get yourself a copy of DOS 6.22 to install Windows 95 with, or a Windows 95 Startup Disk. One problem you may be facing is that the himem.sys file you are using is Windows 98's version which is newer than Windows 95 is normally used with. You cant just mix and match Windows 95 and Windows 98 DOS components like you are and that may be why your running into problems.

A long time ago I was able to install Windows 95 clean to a systems hard drive via use of FreeDOS installed first to hard drive. Then Windows 95 setup.exe run from FreeDOS environment. This was a long long time ago ( 2001 ) and while it may still work, I am not sure if the current FreeDOS will work with Windows 95 or not. FreeDOS however is not Microsoft DOS, its an open source Linux kernel type of DOS that works with most MSDOS applications etc.

http://www.freedos.org/

Installing Windows 95/98 trick to setup.exe execution ( SETUP /NM /IS ) as seen in link below.

http://www.freedos.org/technotes/technote/228.html

Every so often, someone will ask about using FreeDOS to install Windows95 or Windows98. So we should have a technote on that. Bernd provides this advice:

SETUP /NM /IS
(NoMachine checking , IgnoreScandisk)

Later on the Windows install program might or might not tolerate the FreeDOS kernel, shell and programs. If installing win98, try a clean (f5, no drivers) FreeDOS bootup. No XMS driver will have been loaded then but win98 has the good old 'xmsmmgr.exe' commandline XMS driver which can install itself at runtime.

BTW: You have to add CD-ROM support to mount the CD or DVD ROM. Oaks driver usually works with most. But you will need MSCDEX in order to access the optical drive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSCDEX   Also the drive probably needs to be IDE for oaks driver to work. I havent tested it with any newer systems with SATA.

http://manmrk.net/tutorials/DOS/cdrom.htm

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »
I'd get yourself a copy of DOS 6.22 to install Windows 95 with, or a Windows 95 Startup Disk. One problem you may be facing is that the himem.sys file you are using is Windows 98's version which is newer than Windows 95 is normally used with. You cant just mix and match Windows 95 and Windows 98 DOS components like you are and that may be why your running into problems.
That is not necessarily true. They can in fact be mixed and matched as desired. Fundamentally the only thing setup needs is access to the CD-ROM Drive- As I recall it executes in DOS mode first the reboots and continues setup after installing some basics. If himem.sys or emm386.exe cause problems for the setup program- well, they shouldn't be running anyway. I don't even think the win98 CD-ROM boot even loads any XMS drivers. At any rate, the himem.sys that windows 95 will install will be the windows 95 version.

Using FreeDOS to install Windows 95- or any OS, is going Over the top, and won't fix their problem anyway since they already have Windows 95 installed.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.