Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop won't run unless plugged in, battery doesn't charge  (Read 4317 times)

tensorproduct

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Laptop won't run unless plugged in, battery doesn't charge
    « on: June 01, 2014, 03:01:20 AM »
    Hi

My laptop (Asus Zenbook UX31e) has developed a fault where it will only turn on when plugged in to the mains. Unplugging it will cause it to turn off immediately. While plugged in, the tray icon indicates that the battery is charging, but it remains at 60% no matter how long it's connected.

I've tested this in the Windows 7 and Ubuntu partitions, and the behaviour is the same.

I'm fairly sure that this is a battery problem, and I'm ready to order a replacement battery (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-Battery-for-Asus-ZENBOOK-UX31A-UX31E-7-4V-50WH-C22-UX31-/121141244432?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item1c3494b210).

Is there any way to be sure that this will be resolved with a new battery? Is it possible that the battery is fine, but there are other problems with the power system?

Thanks

eQuilibrium

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Laptop won't run unless plugged in, battery doesn't charge
      « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:25:05 AM »
      Yes it is a battery problem. Not the charger because it is detected by your computer as you have said. No other power source to be suspected except the battery. If replacing battery don't work, it is the motherboard's fault.  ;)

tensorproduct

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
        Re: Laptop won't run unless plugged in, battery doesn't charge
        « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:29:31 AM »
        Thanks for the response. I've ordered a replacement battery. I'll post an update when it arrives.