Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive wipe  (Read 2412 times)

shae

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    hard drive wipe
    « on: June 26, 2014, 02:43:20 PM »
    hello i need help big time with my Toshiba satellite with windows 7
    four years ago the bottom of my computer got a little wet my battery started to smoke. so i took out the battery right away. after that i thought the whole thing was trashed so i kept it in a room as i was moving my friend pointed out that it should run without a battery as long as i have it plugged into the charger, she was right. my computer works and some days it does not . i wanted to factory reset it but i cant. i know about the when turning on hold down zero but my computer is really old and my keys don't work so i use a wireless key board now and it wont work with this. so then i thought maybe if i wipe my hard drive that did not work. then i did some more research and one place said to delete the main administrator and make a new one that's what i did. now every time i try to delete something it says i do not have the permission and that i need to get it from the old administrator but that does not show up anywhere. So now i just want to wipe out the whole hard drive and start from new with nothing on my computers but the things it mainly came with. It works sometimes but then sometimes it does not and when i try to go on it. i turn it on and it makes a loud beeping noise at me. Can someone people help me this is driving me crazy.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: hard drive wipe
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
    So now i just want to wipe out the whole hard drive and start from new with nothing on my computers but the things it mainly came with. It works sometimes but then sometimes it does not and when i try to go on it. i turn it on and it makes a loud beeping noise at me. Can someone people help me this is driving me crazy.

What do you have for recovery or installation media for this laptop?

It also from the details shared appears to be a hard up computer that has had a hard life. Repairs that it would possibly need to be reliable could exceed the value of the laptop eaily.

Have you considered buying new or buying a healthy used computer to replace this one?

As far as wiping the drive goes, there are many ways to do this. I generally use the system recovery or Windows OEM disc and delete the partition and recreate and format it. Other methods include writting 1's and 0's to the entire drive to cover up old data by erasing the binary info.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: hard drive wipe
    « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »
    So you have a Toshiba Laptop four years old. The battery is no good and the hard drive has trouble.

There are Hard Drive test programs that can run  from Windows or from a USB stick.
    Sea gate Tools

But do you have a way to installing Windows 7 again?  If you wipe the disk, the windows 7 has t o be restored, you need the Windows 7 install or repair disc.

Have you ever done the system restore before?
    Toshiba System Recovery
    The recovery process deletes all applications not included with the laptop when new. This includes but is not limited to pictures, music, programs, application data, personal data, and documents. It is highly recommended that before performing a recovery, save the files you want to keep to an external source, because after the recovery is complete, there will be no way to get them back.

Your model may be different. Please look at the link above for details.