Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer fan has started to become very loud.  (Read 3263 times)

Pirategunman

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer fan has started to become very loud.
    « on: July 01, 2014, 10:19:59 AM »
    First off hey everyone, I'm new to the site but I'm glad to be here!

I've had a bit of an issue recently with my fan/pump. As of the last 2 weeks it's been running very loudly which is strange because I've only had my PC for a little over a year and I just changed the thermal paste on it around 2 months ago. So yesterday I decided to reapply the paste and see if there was some issue with that. At first it seemed to be fine but it quickly got loud again. Even stranger though is the things that make it speed up are running videos or even loading a new web page just simple things you wouldn't think would cause problems for a fairly high end PC like mine.

I'm just curious if it's the pumps heat sink that's going out or if it's a bios issue. If anyone has any idea about what it could be it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

System Manufacturer: Alienware
           System Model: Aurora-R3
            BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/25/11 09:41:30 Ver: 04.06.04
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
            Memory: 6144MB RAMM

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 TI
    Total Memory: 4gb

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer fan has started to become very loud.
    « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:31 AM »
    First thing I would do is check your temperatures with a program like HWMonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Pirategunman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:35:54 AM »
      Well it just kicked back up again after I've had it turned off for a about 30 minutes and HWMonitor is reading CPU temperatures as high as 90 C.
      All I've done was deleted one folder off my computer and my CPU temp shot up to 90 C, I just don't understand what could be causing this.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
      That is far too high, I wouldn't use it until the issue has been resolved.

First thing I would do is check the connections to the liquid cooler, make sure that the pump is connected to power for example.  If the cooler is all connected properly and is fitted tightly onto the CPU, I would next be checking to see if the cooler's pump is still working, if not it may need replaced.

Pirategunman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
        Well I've been wanting to pick up a Noctua fan for my CPU and get away from the whole liquid cooling pump anyways. I guess I'll know for sure if I'm still having the same issue after I change it over to that. Thanks for the help, I just really wanted to make sure if it wasn't a bios problem and my temps weren't just being read wrong by the PC.