Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New SATA III HDD is not getting detected.  (Read 3018 times)

indianatheist

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    New SATA III HDD is not getting detected.
    « on: July 02, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »
    Hello guys

I am using intel DG41RQ motherboard with core 2 duo processor and 2GB DDR2 RAM. Previously ii was using Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD which was SATA II HDD, but unfortunately that stopped working so i decided to upgrade my HDD. Now I've got a Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD which is SATA III compatible. The real problem arised when i connected my HDD to the motherboard and started my computer and noticed that system is not detecting the HDD. But, sometimes (1/10 times) it luckily gets detected and then if i start installing OS to it, it again gets disappear in the middle of OS installation.

I have really got frustrated. Please help/guide me.

Looking forward for a solution.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New SATA III HDD is not getting detected.
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »
    I have had a bad PSU cause the issue you are having!

Are you sure the PSU is good and that the 500GB drive really is dead or not?

I had an older system 5 years old that was used daily all of a sudden start showing up as HDD issues and finally the one day it wouldnt boot the OS and the HDD was not detected by the BIOS.

I swapped out the HDD with another HDD I had on hand and while I was installing the OS the HDD disappeared on me, and once again not shown in BIOS.

Checked my PSU and my 5V was 4.73VDC and my 12V was like 11.39VDC. I swapped out the old 300 watt PSU with another I had and my 5V was now 5.01VDC and the 12V was 11.89VDC and the HDD was detected right away. I then installed the OS fresh to the replacement HDD with no problems. I then decided to swap out this HDD and place the original back into it and it detected the drive right away. I then just needed to run checkdisk on this and correct for soem corruption, but then after that everything was good.

So it wasnt a crashed drive, it was a crashed PSU. So it might be worth checking into given the age of your computer.

Do you have a good PSU to swap out with this system to see if that corrects this?