Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Passwords that are saved on PC's  (Read 6383 times)

laura127

Passwords that are saved on PC's
« on: July 22, 2004, 07:22:19 AM »
Hope this is the right forum to post this, if its not.. just leave me know where to go! Thanks

Problem: Friend of mine has just rang me in hysterics & she said her boss logged into her PRIVATE email account. They only have one PC in the office (only 4 working there) and my friend is the receptionist who works on the computer. Anyway, she has her email password with her internet provider saved (for example, when she types her log-in on the e-mail site, the password automatically appears)

So now she's freaked out of her brain & wants to know how to delete the saved password. She's using Windows 98 & office 2000 (her employers dont have any interest in IT, as you can guess!)

Any ideas on what to do?? THANKS :)

Raptor

Re: Passwords that are saved on PC's
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 08:41:19 AM »
There are many programs you can use in order to help remove private info.

I suggest your friend clears the Internet history, cache and cookies everytime she logs off.

Do this by going to (IE) Extra -> Internet options

or by Start -> Configuration -> Internet Options

You can also use programs such as System Mechanic 4 professional which is equipped with a number of tools that help boost privacy.

Iolo

Or perhaps Advanced System Optimizer:

Advanced System Optimizer

These programs are NOT freeware.

I also suggest that your friends sets all the programs to not save passwords and other personal data.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 03:27:34 PM »
go to tools /internet options/security  <click this tab and this tab custom level scroll down to you get to logon and untick the automatic login do this will all the zones...more info on passwords here>http://www.windowsgalore.com/windows.95/password.htm
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 03:28:30 PM by merlin_2 »

laura127

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 08:00:44 AM »
Thanks to both of ye for the advice & info. I'll pass it on to my friend. I feel so sorry for her, would hate to have a freaky boss like that

Joleen

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 11:31:29 AM »
It is unfortunate but we sometimes have to scan the net usage or emails of our employees.  We also regularly scan installed programs and in the plant, we have limited the programs that can actually run on a pc to 1 or 2 specific ones.  Nobody likes to invade privacy (except for voyeur freaks I guess) but the company has to look out for itself too.  If we allowed too much free reign.. who knows what games or viruses would end up installed.  It's sad but abuse happens.

I'm not, of course, inferring that your friend is doing anything wrong.