Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intel Graphics driver for Pentium D 3.0  (Read 9206 times)

meshaun

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Intel Graphics driver for Pentium D 3.0
    « on: July 25, 2014, 02:20:41 AM »
    Hi team,
    after concluding that my motherboard and processor were damaged,  I replaced them with a Intel motherboard and Pentium D 3.0 processor.
    I didn't do a clean install to my Windows 8.1 but the PC is running okay for now.

But, the display is not detected to the native resolution. My monitor supports to 1080p but at the moment it detects a lower resolution. I cannot find the intel Graphics driver for this..

Help?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Intel Graphics driver for Pentium D 3.0
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:47:30 AM »
    What motherboard are you using exactly? The integrated chipset could be the 8 or 9 series depending on the age of board with the Pentium D. Chipsets like the Intel 865 and Intel 915 come to mind from years past which had socket 775's.

Knowing the exact motherboard we can assist better. BTW one problem you could run into is that the chipset drivers may only go to Vista due to the age of the boards. If this is the case then getting a GeForce video card or AMD video card that has support for Windows 8 drivers may be required.

I had an old Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz motherboard from 2002 with the Intel 845 chipset in it and the drivers ended at XP. I installed Windows 7 32-bit to this system to see how well it would work. In order to get the graphics to 1024x768 vs maximum of 640x480, I had to force Windows 7 32-bit to take the Windows XP chipset driver for the display. Windows 8 or 8.1 I dont believe would take a XP or Vista driver unless they are maybe 64-bit drivers. If you are without drivers the best bet is to get a cheap video card for this system that supports Windows 8 or 8.1 and use that. Hopefully the motherboard has PCI Express 16x slot available or AGP at minimum to support a better GPU that is compatible with 8.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:12:37 AM »
    Just wanted to correct for a typo above... Intel 865 and 945 chipsets as for the 915 and the 925 didnt support the Pentium D and only supported Pentium 4

meshaun

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »
      I checked with CPU - ID and came to know that my MB is Intel D102GGC2.
      I installed Windows 7 and tried the ATI catalyst Driver package but says that it's invalid. Any option that I too could force install the Video driver for Windows 7?

As per the intel site, the VGA driver is for Win XP only.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »
      Your motherboard has a PCI Express 16 x slot. I'd buy a cheap video card that is Windows 7 and 8 ready such as the ATI Radeon HD 5450 with 512MB or 1GB of VRAM.

Otherwise you would have to force the newer OS to run with older driver and this can lead to problems.

Here is a suggested video card that is cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882&cm_re=hd5450_radeon-_-14-102-882-_-Product

My daughters computer is running this same card with Windows 7 64-bit. It also would work with 8.

meshaun

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »
        Thanks a lot for the information.
        I will check for  a cheap VGA card for this now :)

Meshaun.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:58:58 AM »
        after concluding that my motherboard and processor were damaged,  I replaced them with a Intel motherboard and Pentium D 3.0 processor.

Curious as to how both were damaged?  ( Lightning etc )