Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seagate external drive clicking  (Read 3573 times)

jklangen

Topic Starter

Rookie

Seagate external drive clicking
    « on: July 27, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
    I use a 1 TB Seagate drive for my backups and it has been clicking lately.  Less than a year old but I do a full system backup once a week which is 320 GB.  The backup failed Fri or better said, I unplugged it due to the somewhat noisy clicks after running too many hours.  Having been around computers for a while I am pretty sure this can't be good! Thoughts?

Salmon Trout

Re: Seagate external drive clicking
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:30:42 AM »
    Drives can fail at any time. Most fail after a longer time than less than 1 year, but there is no guarantee (there is a Seagate warranty). You have two symptoms suggestive of drive failure: an unusual noise (clicking), and a failed backup. You could consult the help at Seagate.com,  for example:

Identifying and troubleshooting hard drive noise issues

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/174571en?language=en_US

Also find your drive on this page and navigate to the appropriate diagnostic tool download:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/services-software/apps

jklangen

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »
      Thanks for the links.  Turns out they say some clicking is normal for this unit.  Backup completed successfully this time. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 05:32:56 AM »
      i don't know of any HDD where cliking is "normal"...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 07:13:18 AM »
      If this external drive is powered directly from USB port a common problem with external hard drives is that the USB power is weak or the cable to the external HDD should be replaced with a heavier watt/amp load cable so it can handle the current and power the HDD properly.

With all the mini USB cables that come with various devices MP3 players, Camera's, PlayStation 3 Controller, etc its possible to use a cable that came with a different device than the external HDD originally came with and end up with problems. I have 2 such cables that cause my external 2.5" HDD to click that came with something else but were in reach when wanting to connect the external HDD.

The better cables have 2 USB connectors at the end with mini USB connection at the other end so adequate power can make its way to the small external HDD so its adequately powered. So here is the cable that I use with my external 2.5" HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200791&cm_re=mini_usb_y-cable-_-12-200-791-_-Product

*There are a few different USB connections out there so if replacing the cable and buying a new one be sure you selected the correct USB connection, Micro, or Mini, etc.

If this is a unit that came with a separate power supply and while powered its making clicking noises and acting sluggish this is not a good sign and I would make a copy of all the data on that external HDD to another drive asap to avoid total data loss!

Even if its a smaller 2.5" external HDD that is powered off of USB power, I'd also back up your data to another drive asap in case that drive is failing as well.

For my most important data i keep it backed up on 2 external hard drives that I create a mirror image of as well as save on DVD's etc if it makes sense to do so. * I have been bitten by data loss in the fast and would hate to lose some specific data that could never be replaced etc.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »
      I was just curious as to who told him cliking was normal...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »
      I was just curious as to who told him cliking was normal...

Me too. Some people go into denial about hard drive failure and look for reasons to believe it hasn't happened.

it has been clicking lately

Not "It has been clicking since it was new" - just clicking "lately", around about when all the problems with backups happened.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »
      HFDS symptoms...