Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new processor doesnt work.....  (Read 3157 times)

samwez01

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    new processor doesnt work.....
    « on: July 31, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
    hey i have a hp touchsmart 300 with an amd athlon x3 400e in it i want to upgrade to amd athlon x3 460 but when i put it in it came up with an error before the windows screen came up can anyone help?
    i have a
    Hp Touchsmart 300 1220fr http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-touchsmart-300-1220fr-athlon-ii-x3-400e-2-2-ghz-4-gb-640-gb-lcd-20/specs/
    with 8gb ram atm
    and the error that comes up is in french "erreur : le processeur installe n' est pas pris en charge , L' ordinateur s' eteindra automatiquement dans quelques secondes..."
    then after the error it turns off help with this or what i need to buy to make the processor wun will be so helpful as im stuck atm

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: new processor doesnt work.....
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »
    Are you in Canada? Europe?
    Did HP recommend the upgrade?
    Did you try to put the old CPU in the computer?

samwez01

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:19:17 PM »
      australia
      no hp didnt recommend it as i wanted to be able to play games better which is why im upgrading
      and when i put the old one in it works like it did normally just crap for games

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:18:12 AM »
      HP Does not list that as a supported CPU here: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0 710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02577465-17%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&ac.admitted=1406887929909.876444892.199480143

The original CPU has a TDP of 45w, the new one you are trying to use has a TDP of 95w - I imagine this is why it is refusing to use this new CPU as although the system technically could support it, the higher TDP would mean more power required through the motherboard and power supply as well as more heat output, this could cause issues in such a slimline, all-in-one machine.  Your only real option is to return/sell the new CPU and either forget about it or upgrade to one of the supported CPUs such as the AMD Athlon X4 600e and 605e.

The issues you are having with games are likely not down to the CPU anyway, although not super powerful, those CPUs should be fine for basic gaming, the issue is much more likely down to the video card in that system which is a very old and weak, integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 which is not designed for gaming in any way.  Unfortunately this cannot be upgraded.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:27:44 AM »
      the issue is much more likely down to the video card in that system which is a very old and weak, integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 which is not designed for gaming in any way.  Unfortunately this cannot be upgraded.

I feel a CPU upgrade is a waste in this system because your stuck with integrated graphics. You will need to buy a different computer. No matter what you put into this system for CPU your still limited with the weak GPU.

What games are you trying to play that you need better performance with. Maybe we can make some affordable suggestions.

I have seen people skimp by with Intel Core 2 Duo used system purchases for like $100 refurb with OS included, and throwing the money into a good PSU ( $40-$60 ) and Video Card ($70+ ) instead and able to play modern games pretty well and very affordably on a tight budget.

This gets them gaming for around $250 with ok performance but not a system to brag about.

For around $400 you can start to buy all new guts and have a gaming system, but with a weaker $50 CPU to cut costs etc, but an upgrade path later if you need more performance for number crunching in games.

Buying a used Core 2 Duo system, your only possible upgrade path might be a Core 2 Quad, but you would have to do some research into the system bought to be sure its supported as for not all socket 775 systems can take a quadcore.