Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD Cloning  (Read 2957 times)

MoffKalast

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Nothing ever works, except when it does.
    • Experience: Experienced
    HDD Cloning
    « on: August 21, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »
    I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I've been trying to clone a 80GB internal HDD to a mobile 500GB WD passport and then that to another internal 1TB HDD in another pc with CloneZilla on a usb going exactly by their tutorial and choosing the beginner setting.

The problem is that the other pc won't boot from the 1TB drive after the process is done... Am I doing something wrong here? Or is this supposed to be done some other way?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: HDD Cloning
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
    You cannot take one hd, clone it to another, put it in a different computer and expect it to work (unless the to systems are identical). That's not how Windows works. You'll need to purchase a copy of Windows for the other system.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
    ** Just wanted to mention that while this is illegal if you are trying to use the same key on 2 systems, there is a legal way to get by with this.

The legal method is when you have a 2nd license of the same exact OS that is to be on 2 computers and you clone the one drive to the other, and then perform a repair installation on the other 2nd system taking the cloned drive which corrects for hardware differences between them in the Windows build files.

Sometimes people can get a system to boot after clone drive is installed on different hardware, but most of the time its a failed boot of BSOD loop.

Most people clone highly configured systems, so that you can install the cloned drive into a different computer and then perform the repair install and 9 times out of 10 all software works flawless after the repair install and windows activation with the other key used to be legal.

If the 2nd system is not highly configured, I would suggest a clean installation of the OS as for the 2nd system can inherrit orphan registry information from the original system through taking a cloned drive to a different computer and correcting for problems with the repair process vs clean install.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:50:02 PM »
    Hi

When you say it's not booting could you give some more detail.

Does it start into windows and then crash if so then what DaveLembke said is correct.

If it won't even start to boot then you haven't transferred the boot sector and active status bit for the 1tb drive.

Clonezilla is an amazing tool for this but you need to know a bit about disk cloning to get a good result.

For a more graphical tool to do this I would suggest Minitool Diskmanger free.

What you need to do is backup ti 80GB to the USB drive including the boot sector.
    Then restore the backup to the 1TB.
    Minitool can be run from a CD.
    It also will do a fat to any other file system as it is restoring.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

MoffKalast

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Nothing ever works, except when it does.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
      ** Just wanted to mention that while this is illegal if you are trying to use the same key on 2 systems, there is a legal way to get by with this.
      No, surprisingly I am not. I just want to use my old config in a new PC (basically upgrade everything except the OS).

Hi

When you say it's not booting could you give some more detail.

Does it start into windows and then crash if so then what DaveLembke said is correct.
      It just kinda gets to the phase when windows should start booting and then restarts itself, so in a sense, yes.

You cannot take one hd, clone it to another, put it in a different computer and expect it to work (unless the to systems are identical). That's not how Windows works. You'll need to purchase a copy of Windows for the other system.
      Why? This doesn't make any sense.

The legal method is when you have a 2nd license of the same exact OS that is to be on 2 computers and you clone the one drive to the other, and then perform a repair installation on the other 2nd system taking the cloned drive which corrects for hardware differences between them in the Windows build files.

Sometimes people can get a system to boot after clone drive is installed on different hardware, but most of the time its a failed boot of BSOD loop.

Most people clone highly configured systems, so that you can install the cloned drive into a different computer and then perform the repair install and 9 times out of 10 all software works flawless after the repair install and windows activation with the other key used to be legal.

If the 2nd system is not highly configured, I would suggest a clean installation of the OS as for the 2nd system can inherrit orphan registry information from the original system through taking a cloned drive to a different computer and correcting for problems with the repair process vs clean install.
      I see. I better start searching for that install disc lol

If all else fails I could just add the old hdd into the new pc, that should work yes?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:30:46 PM »
      Folks, let's be careful about providing information or advice about how to circumvent EULA's. Thank you.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »
      Quote from: Allan
      You cannot take one hd, clone it to another, put it in a different computer and expect it to work (unless the two systems are identical). That's not how Windows works. You'll need to purchase a copy of Windows for the other system.
      Why? This doesn't make any sense.

It does make sense. 1. Practical: when Windows is installed, it tailors the install to the hardware found (CPU, motherboard chipset, video/sound/network/memory controller/disk controller etc) so if you transfer the disk to another computer with different hardware you can get unpredictable problems ranging from instability and poor performance to complete boot failure. 2. Licensing: if an OEM license is used, the install is tied to the hardware it is licensed to. Hard drives, CPUs, chipsets etc have unique hardware IDs, serial numbers if you like. Significant changes can mean you have to reactivate, and a completely different computer, even the same brand and model, would not be valid hardware. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »
      Here is another thought that does not contradict anything are restated.
      Microsoft does allow the use of trial versions of its operating systems. At the present time, you should be able to find both trial versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8. On the Microsoft download site.
      These versions will run without a product key for specified time. Usually 30 days, sometimes more. This is the easy and effective way to find out if a new hardware, buildings will work with Windows 7 or Windows 8. This program satisfies the needs of both the home experimenter and the Microsoft profit generation.
      Simply said, if it is of benefit to you then pay for it. If it does not benefit you, you haven't lost anything because it was a free trial.
      That is the best I can say :)