Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: open office software  (Read 3263 times)

dr_in_ny

open office software
« on: October 31, 2005, 07:44:45 PM »
I am an inexperienced computer user and had my Dell computer recently updated by adding a new hard drive and more memory.  Since I changed the hard drive and am not running the old one as a slave, I no longer have my Microsoft Word.

So I downloaded Openoffice.  But I can't figure out how to print envelopes.

To be honest, I was very used to Word and wish I still had it.  I do have my old Windows 98SE CD which I got when I first got my Dell in '00.  Is Word on this?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, DR

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    Re: open office software
    « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:10:29 AM »
    Check out this link for printing envelopes:

http://oooauthors.org/en/FAQs/Writer/faqwriterprinting/FaqEntry.2004-02-24.2549731962

Word is not a component of Windows 98, so it wouldn't be on that CD.

I'm assuming you inherited this machine, and it came with Word on it...?
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

dr_in_ny

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 07:37:04 PM »
    Thank you so much for the information.  It was a tremendous help to me.

I always had this computer - purchased in 2000 and when it began to slow down and refuse to defrag, I decided to go with the additional memory and hard drive. The Word must have been factory installed, I'm thinking.  But I'm getting used to Openoffice - slowly but surely.  Thank you again, DR

dr_in_ny

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 07:38:00 PM »
    I am very happy to have found your website - it's so filled with information. DR

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 08:34:44 PM »
    Open Office is an adequate substitute. The only problem I have had with it was on spreadsheets that were heavily formatted imported improperly. I know the new version (2.0) is just around the corner. The betas have been out for a while.

Word doesn't come with Windows, but maybe it was some sort of "bundle deal" when you got your machine. It's pretty expensive to buy, compared to OpenOffice which is free, as you know.

What kind of Dell do you have? I have found the ones for late 98 - 2000 to have been exceptionally durable.

Anyhow, welcome aboard and feel free to post answers as well as questions.

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
      « Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 09:49:06 PM »
      My kind of newbie.  :)
      There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

Mac

Open Office software
      « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 07:15:55 AM »
      Thank you so much for the information.  It was a tremendous help to me.

I always had this computer, purchased in 2000, and when it began to slow down and refuse to defrag, I decided to go with the additional memory and hard drive. Word must have been factory installed, I'm thinking.  But I'm getting used to OpenOffice - slowly but surely.  Thank you again, DR

Which make and model of computer do you have?

Mine is a Packard-Bell which originally came with Word 2000 as part of the OEM software. I now use Open Office on this drive and Office XP on another drive which has a French version of XP Professional.

You need to have Word installed to use the spelling checker in OE but, if you look on the internet you can find IESpell and OESpell for free.

I am just going to add them to the Freeware page (link at the foot of this page) in the next few minutes now that you have reminded me.

Thanks!

If you use the defrag.exe from ME, available as newdefrag.zip on the web you'll find that it is much faster than the '98 defrag.exe and is readily interchangeable.

You can also use Diskeeper Lite which allows you to see the entire drive on your screen in one window.

DISKEEPER LITE

dr_in_ny

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 09:17:12 PM »
      I have a Dimension L550 - Pentium 3 which has given me great service which is why I wasn't looking to buy new but just upgrade.  I had a new hard drive installed (80 compared to 4.3) and 512 RAM instead of 128.  I had a friend's teenager change out the parts because I am not capable of that.  DR

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 10:18:36 PM »
      Pentium 3 ahhhh - now we're talking! That's all you need unless you're a gamer or a budding graphics artist.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D