Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on my build  (Read 2517 times)

graymatter3

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Advice on my build
    « on: August 22, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »
    I am some who is inexperienced with building a pc and would like someone to give me advice on this build plan that I have currently drawn out (included below). The current cost of the build comes to about $1350 which is in my price range but if there are any changes that can be made to bring the price closer to $1000 I will certainly consider them. The primary use of this pc would be for gaming.

The Build:
    Case - Corsair Obsidian
    Power Supply - Seasonic S12II
    Motherboard - ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU - Intel Core i5-4690 Processor
    Memory - Corsair Vengeance 2x 4gb
    Video Card - ZOTAC ZT-70406-10P G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 4GB
    Storage:
       HDD -
            SDD - Crucial MX100 2.5" 256GB
    Optical Drive - ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM
    CPU Fan - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:12:24 PM by graymatter3 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Advice on my build
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:25:53 PM »
    First of all, I am not an expert on gaming. Still, there's something I want to mention to you that you will be aware of. Unless you're building a lightweight ultra book computer with minimum weight, you need to think about adding a hard disk drive to your stuff.
    Yes, the SSD is the way to go for top performance. No question. But you can improve performance and the ease of operation by adding a hard disk drive. The hard disk drive for backup.  It reduces some of the load of the SSD for tasks that do not require high-speed access. Namely, the video archives and backup sets and ordinary Word documents and spreadsheets. The high-speed of the SSD is very useful work with low time and for quick response in playing some games.
    And no, I don't hate SSD. I have had years of experience working with hard  disk drives and understand  the trade-offs between using the low performance high-capacity hard disk drive. You need backup copies of some your installation software and your operating system and some other utilities and things that do not have to be loaded at boot time. That's what hard drives  are for.
    And that is not just my opinion. This is the same answer, you'll get from other people who have had more experience and will tell you that, unless you want a lightweight, portable computer, you still need the hard disk drive for backup and storage of stuff that does not have to be loaded at boot time.
    So please think about getting a hard drive, even a cheap old grubby hard drive that has anywhere from 250 GB to 500 GB of extra storage.
    That's all I have to say. Bye.   :)
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:42:56 PM by Geek-9pm »

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
    Looks very good.  Only thing is that the i5 4690 cannot really be overclocked, for this you would need the 4690k.  If you do not want the ability to overclock you could save a bit of money by getting a mothrboard with a H97 chipset.

As far as getting a hard drive goes, you will know best how much storage you need.  If 256gb is enough local storage for you there is absolutely no reason to get a hard drive.  Adding a hard drive down the line is also very easy to do later on of you find you need more storage space.

Hugh_Jazscheens

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:26:54 AM »
      You'll need some $$ if you want to run Windows.

You don't need to worry about spec'ing this out yourself. TigerDirect will sell you a packaged kit with Win8 and you can read user reviews. Try http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=114&cm_re=Desktops-_-Spot%2003-_-Gaming%20PCs