Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound driver goes inactive after computer restart  (Read 4063 times)

Citizen K

Topic Starter

Beginner

Sound driver goes inactive after computer restart
    « on: September 05, 2014, 04:12:02 AM »
    Hi everyone,
    Sometime ago I ran an automatic BIOS update to my laptop. This was the second time since I bought it and the first time I had no problems. A short while after the update, I noticed that the sound driver always went inactive if I switched off my laptop and switched it on the next day, i.e. a full shutdown or a restart maybe necessitated by Windows updates or something of that sort. When I switched it back on, the sound driver was inactive. The first time I did not think much of it and simply reinstalled the driver. I had to re-download it, though from the HP website. After that it has happened twice. This does not occur when I hibernate or put it to sleep. Only after a full shutdown or re-start. Last time I checked the programs folder to see if the driver had vanished. It was there, but simply inactive on the status bar. Normally I can see the driver in the Control Panel as well, but when that happens, it is nowhere to be found. When I re-install it, at some point it tells me that the folder already exists and will be overwritten, which proves that it is actually still installed, but the speaker icon on the status bar tells me that there is no hardware plugged in (whereas it is). I did some research on this through Microsoft updates to see if I had any updates that were causing this. I read somewhere about a particular update, but when I checked through my update history, I did not have that update installed that was purported to cause this problem, so I left them untouched.
    Also I have had problems with computer restart. I use AVG free for antivirus. If I install updates that require restart and I do so it works without fail, but if I initiate restart myself, or it has to go through Windows updates that require a restart, the laptop pretends to shut down (i.e tells me shutting down), the screen goes dark after going through the motions, but stays on (fan running, power LED on).
    Both of these problems began a short while after the last BIOS update, not immediately, maybe like 2 to 3 weeks, that is why I initially did not link them to that.
    My laptop is HP Compaq Presario CQ58, running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, 4.00 GB RAM, Processor type, AMD E-300 with Radeon HD graphics 1.30 GHz. Sound driver is Realtek HD Audio Manager.
    Hoping someone can help me out! :) Thanks
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:46:06 AM by Citizen K »

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Sound driver goes inactive after computer restart
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17:40 AM »
    Did you try installing the Essential System Updates already? What do you mean by inactive by the way? Is it mute or disabled?

Citizen K

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:33:20 AM »
      The speaker icon indicates mute, but when I click on it, it goes straight into troubleshooting mode and tells me there is no speaker system or hardware connected.  is that a microsoft update you mentioned?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:45:25 AM »
      Go to Control Panel/Sounds and un-mute everything...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Citizen K

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
        Patio, I am afraid that doesn't work. I indicated in my first post that the driver /program does not appear in the control panel. it isn't just a matter of unmuting anything. The speaker icon indicates mute but on clicking it it goes into troubleshooting. As of now this is not the case because I have only been hibernating the laptop for the past week. Please go through my first post again. I have tried to be very specific and thorough in describing the problem. Only re -installation brings back my sound.

Citizen K

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
          Patio, I am afraid that doesn't work. I indicated in my first post that the driver /program does not appear in the control panel. it isn't just a matter of unmuting anything. The speaker icon indicates mute but on clicking it it goes into troubleshooting. As of now this is not the case because I have only been hibernating the laptop for the past week. Please go through my first post again. I have tried to be very specific and thorough in describing the problem. Only re -installation brings back my sound.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »
          Open Device Manager and have a looksee there...Missing /bad drivers are indicated by a Yellow ! or?...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
          Check this.From Tom's Hardware
          Updated Realtek HD Audio Drivers and lost all sound
          It seems a few have issues with Realtek sound.

Citizen K

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 03:17:32 PM »
            I have already checked out the device manager angle. I forgot to mention this initially. There is no indication any driver is missing.

Citizen K

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »
              @jason2074, I will try the update link and give you feedback