Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard VGA turned off by Graphic Card  (Read 3427 times)

KelvinT

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Motherboard VGA turned off by Graphic Card
    « on: September 06, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »
    Got a Windows Eight computer for wife to work on a year or so ago.  It came with a AMD processor with a VGA monitor port, as well as a AMD Radeon HD 8470 Graphics card with DVI port. (It was advertised as a gaming machine thus the added card)  At that time we connected first to the motherboard VGA to find that it did not work.  No big deal as we had the monitor and cable to connect to the DVI and the monitor's HDMI found it to work. 

At her work they set up a second monitor to extended work space.  She like it so much that she would like the same on the home computer. We have the monitor and even the VGA cable, if only the motherboard VGA would work.  Actually it does, but not with the Radeon card installed.  Using the thought that Windows might turn it on if it was the only choice.  It came to life.  Then reinstalled the Radeon and the VGA is now off again.  Have tried to have the second detected with no luck.  Then thought there might be a setting in the BIOS to find that Win 8 does not use bios but something new called UEFI  (nothing to help in there).  Nothing in the device driver for the Raedon to suggest that any other connection would turn off.  The computer just cannot find the Monitor on the VGA that is connected to the motherboard while the separate card is installed.

Can anyone offer suggestions of what I can try to have the computer detect both monitor connections at the same time. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Motherboard VGA turned off by Graphic Card
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »
    It should work. But I can not tell you if the Radeon HD 8470  is an exception.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors
    Check the documentation for the Radeon HD. It is better to have both monitors come off the Radeon HD. I think it does dual monitors.

I have a different PC. I have to use a splitter to separate the output for two monitors. That may be the same for the Radeon HD.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:42:51 AM »
    Most motherboards that I have ever seen with integrated graphics automatically turn them off when a separate display card is detected at boot time. That means you can't have a dual monitor from the onboard VGA and another monitor from the display card. If we knew the motherboard name and model we might be able to give chapter and verse.

KelvinT

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
      Thanks to both of you.  Yes the card handels two monitors. One one DVI and one on HDMI.   It is too bad that the motherboard turns off it vga, as will be on the lookout for a monitor with hdmi.  Borrowed sons monitor for the test but he wants it back.   Again thanks.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 01:52:30 PM »
      will be on the lookout for a monitor with hdmi.

Would something like this be any use?