Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive says it's FULL. It clearly is NOT!  (Read 3072 times)

Strype

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hard Drive says it's FULL. It clearly is NOT!
    « on: September 10, 2014, 03:40:15 AM »
    I have a Lenovo Y570 Ideapad with a 750GB Hard Drive. It is stating that I only have 1 GB of free space, when there is only about 60 GB worth of software installed. I am constantly receiving "Low Disk Space" messages, when I should have TONS of free space left. I have done hours upon hours of research trying to figure out what is causing this problem, and cannot seem to find the solution anywhere.

Many people who have encountered similar problems have fixed it by disabling Windows Restore and deleting the restore points, etc. This is not the problem for me. I have it entirely disabled and have made sure there are no restore points sitting around. In fact, absolutely NONE of the solutions that have worked for other people have worked for me.

I am completely out of ideas. Can somebody with advanced knowledge PLEASE help me? I have no idea what to do anymore and my computer is basically useless in this state.

Please, please help me.

Btw: I have run TreeSize, Spacesniffer AND WinDirStat (all in Administrator mode) and none of them have been able to identify what is taking up the space. It just shows up as an enormous chunk of "Unknown" space.

Below is a screenshot of what I see when running WinDirStat (as administrator). The MASSIVE Yellow chunk is the "Unknown" space that my computer is completely unable to remove/delete or even identify.

Thanks in advance to anybody who's able to provide any help! :)

(Edit: And I want to apologize to patio for the previous double post. I just wasn't completely sure of which forum was the most appropriate for the question at hand, so I posted in both in hopes that a moderator would be able to close the wrongful post and point me in the right direction. I certainly didn't expect you to remove both of them and eliminate any possibility of me getting ANY help whatsoever. It won't happen again, Sir.)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Hard Drive says it's FULL. It clearly is NOT!
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:21:13 AM »
    The first thing you want to do is run full scans with BOTH your installed anti virus app and with MalwareBytes.