Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware and software issue  (Read 3321 times)

Guy

Hardware and software issue
« on: November 01, 2005, 04:50:23 PM »
Will installing a graphics driver on your pc even if you dont have a card improve/damage your pc in any way?
Is there any way to improve games performance by downloading something for free?

My pc is a packard bell with a Celeron processor, is a there somehting wrong with a Celeron? Because I never see any upgrades for it.

GX1_Man

Re: Hardware and software issue
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 05:19:14 PM »
Which Celeron is it? The early ones were pretty much dogs because of no on-chip cache.

Mac

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 07:31:21 AM »
Will installing a graphics driver on your pc even if you dont have a card improve/damage your pc in any way?
Is there any way to improve games performance by downloading something for free?

My PC is a Packard-Bell with a Celeron processor. Is there something wrong with a Celeron, because I never see any upgrades for it.

Which model of Packard-Bell computer is it? It may well be that your video RAM shares the system RAM. (Inclusive.)

Mine is an older iXtreme model which you can see in the Avatar on the left.

If you right-click My Computer and open the Properties box how much RAM does it say is fitted in the General tab?

You can see the service pack level and the Processor speed there too.

Guy

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 03:05:43 PM »
It is a

Celeron(R) CPU .2.93GHz
Packard Bell computer intel(R)
192 mb of ram

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 03:14:34 PM »
Not really a gaming PC and if has onboard graphics sharing what little system RAM you have, I would say no gaming for you.

You could buy more RAM, or a better graphics card, but you would need to know if it has an AGP or only PCI slots. What operating system?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 03:15:27 PM by GX1_Man »

Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 03:21:39 PM »
Windows XP
home edition
Service pack 2

Mac

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 03:57:28 PM »
It is a

Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHz
Packard Bell computer intel(R)
192 mb of ram

Good processor but low on RAM.

256-192 = 64 MB being used by the video.

Adding a graphics card, if possible, which has its own RAM, would allow you to return the 64 MB for use by the system so you would have the full use of 256 MB.

Adding more RAM, depending on the number of slots and the maximum for the motherboard, would then improve the overall capability.

Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 01:04:27 PM »
I have another pc that has a graphics card, would I be able to take it out of that one and put it into the new one. Though the old one is a custom made pc made by my uncle so its not any particular brand and Its not connected so I cant check the system specs but from what I know its a Geforce 3.
I think my brother tried to take the other hardware out of the old one and put it into the new one but he said there wasnt enough room, is that possible cos I have a feeling he just wasnt trying hardenough.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 02:00:46 PM »
I have another pc that has a graphics card, would I be able to take it out of that one and put it into the new one.

If it is an AGP and you have an AGP slot, yes. If it is PCI you probably have that. You would just need to disable the onboard video, if it doesn't do so automatically when a graphics card is plugged in.

I think my brother tried to take the other hardware out of the old one and put it into the new one but he said there wasnt enough room, is that possible cos I have a feeling he just wasnt trying hardenough.

It depends on what hardware you are talking about. Hard drives can be moved ewasily, but you may have trouble if there is no appropriate video adapter, etc. Specifics would be helpful.