Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suggestions for a z97 1150 socket gaming motherboard  (Read 3024 times)

JTBOT65

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Suggestions for a z97 1150 socket gaming motherboard
    « on: September 21, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »
    I'm building a 2000 gaming computer, and I have almost everything confirmed except my mother board, and I need some suggestions. I'd like to go with a z97 board but a good z87 would do just fine. I'm putting in an i5 4690 and a GTX 770. Thanks! Btw I won't be doing any over clocking.

InfamousMyzt

Rookie

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Suggestions for a z97 1150 socket gaming motherboard
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »
    You didn't post info about the rest of your build or budget room, but this board is about the best you can get for Z97.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:56:39 PM by InfamousMyzt »
    Skype - infamousmyzt

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »
    So you want  to get into the new Intel Haswell CPU.
    The new Gigabyte Z87 GA-Z87X-OC comes standard with a lot of the features Gigabyte only used to include in higher-end models.
    http://toptengamer.hubpages.com/hub/Best-1150-Motherboard
    Haswell processors are a step up, in terms of speed, from previous Ivy Bridge processors. Across the board you'll see a 6% to 10% increase in performance. That being said if you're upgrading from a Ivy Bridge processor, then the biggest benefit you'll see is a substantial boost integrated graphics and significant energy savings on mobile devices. For example battery life on laptops should increase a good 2 to 3 hours from Ivy Bridge. Performance users or those looking overclock may find that the upgrade from Ivy or Sandy is simply not worth it.

What that means  is , Yes, it is new tech. But No, it is not really intended to help gamers.  The improvement is mostly better design and lower power.

Still, it is a good choice. Good stuff. Just do not expect double the performance of older boards.  :)

JTBOT65

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:04:47 PM »
      Quite true sry about that,

CPU: Intel core i5 4690 - 230$

GPU: evga nvidia geforce gtx 770 dual super locked acx - 320

PSU: corsair cx750m - 80$

CPU cooler: CM hyper 212 evo - 35$

Ram: G.skill sniper series 16gb (2x8gb) 1866mhz cl 9 - 180$

hard drive and ssd: 120gb Samsung 840 eco, and wd caviar black 1tb both 80$+80$

and its all going in a corsair 760t

InfamousMyzt

Rookie

• Yes
      « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »
      You should be fine with the motherboard I linked. Your cpu only supports up to 1600mhz on RAM, but your motherboard will underclock your ram down to 1600 for you. I don't think you'd save much money at all dropping to 1600mhz RAM.
      Skype - infamousmyzt

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:20:29 AM »
      If you aren't overclocking there isn't really a major point going with Z97, H97 would do fine.  As far as brands go, look at Gigabyte or ASUS.

I would advise not to get *87 chipsets for that CPU as they may need a BIOS update to support the 4690, if the board doesn't come with this update you would need to have an older Haswell CPU in order to flash the update.

Also, if I may comment on other bits of your build, I'd swap out that PSU, 750w is overkill and the Corsair CXs aren't the best quality - You would be better off going for a lower wattage unit ~550-650w from either a higher Corsair range or another brand such as Seasonic of XFX.