Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Macrium Image Verification Process  (Read 4093 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Macrium Image Verification Process
    « on: October 18, 2014, 02:54:42 AM »
    How does this work? I ask because it would be convenient for me to verify the image on a different desktop. Let's say I image the C drive on Computer A and store it on an external HD.  Can I now connect that external HD to Computer B to verify the image? I assume no because I am guessing verification involves comparing the image to the  C drive, but I do not know. Thanks.

Edit: I think this means I can verify the image on a different computer.

http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Restore/Verify_Image.htm
    « Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:49:56 AM by artbuc »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Macrium Image Verification Process
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 04:18:30 AM »
    No, of course not. Just verify the image at the time it is created.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
      No, of course not. Just verify the image at the time it is created.

Sorry for being dense but I do not understand what you mean. Do you mean of course you must verify on the same computer? For me, I always immediately verify on my own machine. However, when I am doing a back-up image for my S-I-L, it is inconvenient so sit around for 30-45 mins waiting for verification. It would be much easier if I could just take the external HD with me and verify her image at my house.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »
      I always verify when i create the image...
      After all if verify fails the image is worthless...so why wait.
      Sometimes i do my images late at nite and just let it run...creation with verification...but that's me.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:07:05 AM »
        I always verify when i create the image...
        After all if verify fails the image is worthless...so why wait.
        Sometimes i do my images late at nite and just let it run...creation with verification...but that's me.

Yes, I know you must verify. That is not my question. I am not sure how to make myself understandable on this. Once the image has been created and stored on an external HD, can I then connect that external HD to another PC which has the same Macrium software and verify that image? From the link I posted earlier, it appears that everything needed to do the verification is contained on the image so the C drive which was imaged is not involved or necessary. Maybe I will try it and see what happens. Thanks for your responses.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »
        Once the image has been created and stored on an external HD, can I then connect that external HD to another PC which has the same Macrium software and verify that image?
        I believe so, using either the Macrium Reflect user interface or the command line tool called verify.exe which you can run from an Administrator command prompt, specifying an image file or set of files. As far as I can see you can run the tool either on the original PC where you created the image, or you could plug the external HD into another PC which has verify.exe. I do not know if the tool is part of a default Macrium install, but if it is not present (probably in the Macrium program folder) you can download it from their web site.

It will return a report as follows:

Verify Success   The file contained no errors.

Verify Failure    The file could not be verified successfully. Try the verification process again using the Macrium Reflect user interface. This may give more information on the problem.

Backup set is incomplete. At least one file may be missing    This message is displayed if the --set command line switch is used and at least one other file required to restore this file cannot be opened and/or located in the same folder.

Password Error    The backup file is password protected and/or encrypted and the supplied password is not correct.

F you do not already have it, get it here, and read the instructions:

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50176.aspx
        « Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:28:15 AM by Salmon Trout »

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »
        I believe so, using either the Macrium Reflect user interface or the command line tool called verify.exe which you can run from an Administrator command prompt, specifying an image file or set of files. As far as I can see you can run the tool either on the original PC where you created the image, or you could plug the external HD into another PC which has verify.exe. I do not know if the tool is part of a default Macrium install, but if it is not present (probably in the Macrium program folder) you can download it from their web site.

It will return a report as follows:

Verify Success   The file contained no errors.

Verify Failure    The file could not be verified successfully. Try the verification process again using the Macrium Reflect user interface. This may give more information on the problem.

Backup set is incomplete. At least one file may be missing    This message is displayed if the --set command line switch is used and at least one other file required to restore this file cannot be opened and/or located in the same folder.

Password Error    The backup file is password protected and/or encrypted and the supplied password is not correct.

F you do not already have it, get it here, and read the instructions:

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50176.aspx
        Yes, I know you must verify. That is not my question. I am not sure how to make myself understandable on this. Once the image has been created and stored on an external HD, can I then connect that external HD to another PC which has the same Macrium software and verify that image? From the link I posted earlier, it appears that everything needed to do the verification is contained on the image so the C drive which was imaged is not involved or necessary. Maybe I will try it and see what happens. Thanks for your responses.

I really don't understand. If you verify it when it's created there is no need to "re-verify" it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 11:49:35 AM »
        I really don't understand. If you verify it when it's created there is no need to "re-verify" it.

I understand. He is imaging his sister-in-law's computer at her house and then taking the external HD back to his house. He said that rather than wait the extra time that verification imposes he would find it convenient to do it later after he is back home. I agree that generally you might as well do it at image creation time, for one thing you are on the spot if there is a verification problem. If there was one, it could be caused by something on the PC being imaged, like bad RAM, or bad leads to the drive, or else corruption on the image storage medium. If you take the image away and get a failure on a different PC, you have more possibilities to sift, and you will now have to go back to the location of the imaged PC to investigate.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »
        Okay, thanks for the explanation ST. Personally, I'd still do it at the time of imaging - but so be it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
        I generally have my backup images on drives that are (semi) permanently connected to my PC. I do disk imaging because I am aware that hard drives can fail. If I am imaging onto another hard drive then it follows that the backup drive might fail as well, so I have two backup locations - a NAS drive sitting on my home network, and also a large USB external drive. I make sure that no image is more than 3 days old, and I alternate the locations. I have a feeling that a USB drive is going to be most reliable if it is not often plugged and unplugged, and not transported around. Just my thoughts.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »
          I understand. He is imaging his sister-in-law's computer at her house and then taking the external HD back to his house. He said that rather than wait the extra time that verification imposes he would find it convenient to do it later after he is back home. I agree that generally you might as well do it at image creation time, for one thing you are on the spot if there is a verification problem. If there was one, it could be caused by something on the PC being imaged, like bad RAM, or bad leads to the drive, or else corruption on the image storage medium. If you take the image away and get a failure on a different PC, you have more possibilities to sift, and you will now have to go back to the location of the imaged PC to investigate.

Thanks ST.....you got it. Not interested in hanging around any longer than I absolutely have to. BTW, over the last 2–3 years I have imaged my HD dozens of times and never had a single verification issue.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
          Not interested in hanging around any longer than I absolutely have to.
          I have a sister-in-law like that.