Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer screen momentary blackouts  (Read 4464 times)

Yonderer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer screen momentary blackouts
    « on: October 18, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
    Hi all,
    This is my first post on this forum. I have searched and not been able to find anything that refers exactly to my problem. I have a relatively new computer. System as follows

Processor AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
    Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Graphics
    AMD Radeon HD 7560D
    Gaming graphics
    4057 MB Total available graphics memory
    Primary hard disk
    221GB Free (299GB Total)
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
    System type
    64-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 2
    Total size of hard disk(s)
    931 GB
    Disk partition (C:)
    221 GB Free (299 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D:)
    139 GB Free (315 GB Total)
    Disk partition (E:)
    317 GB Free (317 GB Total)
    Display adapter type
    AMD Radeon HD 7560D
    Total available graphics memory
    4057 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory
    512 MB
    Dedicated system memory
    0 MB
    Shared system memory
    3545 MB
    Display adapter driver version
    Primary monitor resolution
    1600x900
    DirectX version
    DirectX 10
    Network
    Network Adapter
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Network Adapter
    TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Adapter
    Network Adapter
    Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Running AVG full paid version.
    As I really don't know what is relevant and what is not please disregard what is not relevant and let me know if I have missed anything essential.
    My problem is the screen often goes black for a moment - just enough time generally to register that it has happened and then comes back. I have changed screens without solving the problem.
    I have noticed that it tends to happen when I have clicked on something to change the screen display or when the program I am running changes the display. It certainly does not do it every time however. It would probably occur about 5 or 6 time an hour. It also seems to occur when the display has lots of images. I can't remember it ever happening when showing only text.
    As the computer is still under warranty, but would be a great inconvience to have to return it, I would like to know if anyone has an idea what might be wrong and whether it is likely to become worse or cause the computer to fail completely.
    In other words - should I bite the bullet and return it, or go along with what is at the moment merely a slight annoyance.
    Thanks
    Dan

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer screen momentary blackouts
    « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 04:37:07 AM »
    Since swapping displays didnt fix it... then I'd swap video cards, but first update the driver to latest and see if that helps. I feel you have a video card that is having issues. Also for the fact that this system has the APU, you should be able to remove the video card and run on the APU's GPU portion to see if this issue goes away. Yes, the performance wouldnt be there, but if it goes away for a problem then you know to blame the video card, and if it remains you know its a system problem and not video card.

Yonderer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:44:26 PM »
      Hi Dave,
      Thanks for the advice. However, I should have pointed out that I'm rapidly approaching 80 years of age, and whereas I've been using computers since 1983 I've never tried to fix, add, or adjust hardware, and I wouldn't know a video card if I fell over one.
      I'm also wary of attempting to move things lest I make it worse, or negate the warranty. Sadly I've no teenage grand children who would probably have been a great help, and the only nephew I have that is really into computers is a couple of thousand ks away if he is still working in this country.
      Cheers,
      Dan

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
      have noticed that it tends to happen when I have clicked on something to change the screen display or when the program I am running changes the display.

In windows 7 there is a User Account Control when clicking on certain programs. Did you happen to see any UAC box prompt during this happens? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

Yonderer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:24:40 AM »
        Thanks jason 2074.
        I turned the UAC off. This seems to have cut down the number of occurrences and for a while I thought the problem was solved. However, just a few minutes ago there were two extremely brief flashes of black - almost too fast to register.
        What actually does UAC do and can I afford to leave it off. If it is essential for security I'd rather put up with the blackouts.
        Cheers,
        Dan

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »
        UAC set on as default in Windows 7 are for security measures as explained from the previous link. Not quite sure of the brief flashes but by the looks of it seems to be a flash blackout on screen or a flash black square box?