Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I cannot enable Intel Management Engine  (Read 3370 times)

hamsterman89

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I cannot enable Intel Management Engine
    « on: November 12, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »
    Hello,

I have a Lenovo M58p SFF. Basically I was messing around with the settings in Intel Management Engine and managed to disable ME State Control. After the system restarted, my cpu fan is spinning at full throttle and is quite lout. My Issue is, I cannot re-enter Management Engine, during the BIOS splash screen I have the option to press ctrl+P to enter Management engine, but the screen just goes blank for a few moments and continues to boot to windows. I've tried resetting bios;reset cmos;pull cmos battery and power cable; using cmos clear jumper;Flashing bios to the latest version; and nothing seems to work. So basically, what happened? Why can't I re-enter Intel Management Engine?

This is my MoBo according to Speccy

Motherboard
      Manufacturer LENOVO
      Model LENOVO (LGA 775)
      Version ThinkCentre M58p
      Chipset Vendor Intel
      Chipset Model Q45/Q43
      Chipset Revision 03
      Southbridge Vendor Intel
      Southbridge Model 82801JB (ICH10)
      Southbridge Revision 02
      BIOS
      Brand LENOVO
      Version 5CKT77AUS
      Date 5/7/2012

Thanks for reading, any help is much appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I cannot enable Intel Management Engine
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:03:42 AM »
    Power down. Remove the hard drive. The power back on.
     The will force the BIOS to show.

hamsterman89

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:38:18 AM »
      Thank you for the reply. I can see the BIOS without issue, but it's the management engine that I'm having issue with. From what I've read it's a BIOS extension, something I would have to go through the bios to access. The ctrl+p option is shown for me, but when I press the keys, instead of going to intel ME, it attempts to boot from a medium. Thanks again.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 05:43:27 AM »
      For general reference:
      Intel Active Management Technology
      Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) is hardware-based technology for remotely managing and securing PCs out-of-band.... Currently, Intel AMT is available in desktops, servers, ultrabooks, tablets, and laptops with Intel Core vPro processor family, including Intel Core i3, i5, i7, and Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 product family.....
      The idea of " out-of-band" might not seem easy to understand for us laymen. It means that full control of the protocol is not available.
      Hardware-based (or out-of-band) management is different from software-based (or in-band) management and software management agents.[1][2] Hardware-based management works at a different level than software applications, uses a communication channel (through the TCP/IP stack) that is different from software-based communication (which is through the software stack in the operating system). Hardware-based management does not depend on the presence of an OS or locally installed management agent.
      Hardware-based management has been available on Intel/AMD based computers in the past, but it has largely been limited to auto-configuration using DHCP or BOOTP for dynamic IP allocation and diskless workstations, as well as Wake-on-LAN (WOL) for remotely powering on systems.[11]
      Intel AMT uses TLS-secured communication and strong encryption, to provide additional security.[2]
      Perhaps this means you are not going to get control of that feature.
      Admirably,  the Wikipedia article is defective, but it serves as a starting point for more research. The references at the end of the article point to documents that define in great detail the Intel hardware product.
      « Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:01:48 AM by Geek-9pm »