Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Server requirements Counter-Strike and Voice Server  (Read 5424 times)

Lachesis

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Server requirements Counter-Strike and Voice Server
    « on: November 25, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
    Hello Hope Members,

Let me introduce myself because this is my first post xD
    My name is Michael Roes living in the Netherlands 26 years, I am a student in application development, Finished a degree in ITYL v3 and have MCSA certification.
    Last year I have started a company with 2 partners.
    One of our key focusses are to organise Esport events, Gaming webshop and server rental.
    I am sending this post to ask you for support.
    Because we are organising Esport events on which we would like to hold Counter-Strike GO & Source tournaments. My questions are:

-What are the minimum server requirements for a redundand (virtual) Counter-Strike GO and Source server?, capable for mass trafic.
    -What kind of license is needed to hold legit CS tournaments?
    -How do you recommend on how to roll out higher amount of (virtual) Game servers?

On this server voice servers will also be deployed, TS3,Ventrillo and possibly Mumble, For these I can rarely find any information about requirements at all.
    We are planning on using Windows srv 2008 as an operating system and this piece of Hardware Link: http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/2U/2027/SYS-2027GR-TRF-CG.cfm

Could you please help us on any of these matters?
    I hereby thank you for your time and cooperation.

Your sincerely,

M.Roes

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Server requirements Counter-Strike and Voice Server
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
    -What are the minimum server requirements for a redundand (virtual) Counter-Strike GO and Source server?, capable for mass trafic.

This is scaled by how many concurrent connections you will have to maintain. This info could be already readily available through contacting Valve Corporation.

-What kind of license is needed to hold legit CS tournaments?

For game licensing info, I'd contact Valve Corporation. For game events that i use to host, i bought multiple copies of the same game or friends who attended already owned legal copies of the game. At a game con I set up 8 computers once and had all 8 boxes of Unreal Tournament 99 with me just in case anyone questioned the legality of running 8 copies of the same game at the same time as for it could have been easily rolled out using the single game copy. Your project is on a much larger scale from my knowledge of lan parties.  ;D

-How do you recommend on how to roll out higher amount of (virtual) Game servers?

The server linked looks nice, however how many people will be connecting to this at the same time, and are you familiar with setting up clusters to load balance?

Lastly another thing to consider is not having all your eggs in 1 basket, that is not having all your servers located through a single location or pipe to the internet as for if someone wanted to DDoS you, you could be crippled quickly.