Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tips or advice/suggestions on first gaming build?  (Read 4440 times)

JTBOT65

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Tips or advice/suggestions on first gaming build?
    « on: January 18, 2015, 12:12:20 AM »
    So after literally almost 6 months of research on gaming computers, i've finally learned enough to attempt to build one. My budget is $1000 Canadian firm.
    I believe that this is the best gaming computer for the $1000 budget, but if you have any different parts or advice that I could take into consideration for this build, it would be most appreciated.
    This is my parts list:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($158.98 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($76.50 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($81.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.95 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 285 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($199.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H23  ATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.99 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $835.16

Note that this list includes the operating system, and case. This list includes mail-in rebates, but excludes all tax and shipping/handling costs.
    ==========================

I would like to know a few things, first of all, the PSU listed is 750w, but on the XFX webpage, it states that the minimum requirement for wattage is 750w. Would this PSU still be adequate? or would I need to upgrade slightly? let me know. Last but not least, when the system is built and completed, I would like to overclock the processor from its stock clock of 3.5GHz, to preferably 4.0-4.5Ghz, would I be able to safely accomplish this with the liquid cooler that I have listed? Thank you to all who reply in advance, your help is noticed and greatly appreciated.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Tips or advice/suggestions on first gaming build?
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 12:35:56 AM »
    I'd recommend something along this line.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wPNsWZ

The only other thing I would change would be an SSD for the OS and the apps you want to respond faster.
    Evil is an exact science.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 01:56:53 AM »
    I would like to know a few things, first of all, the PSU listed is 750w, but on the XFX webpage, it states that the minimum requirement for wattage is 750w. Would this PSU still be adequate? or would I need to upgrade slightly? let me know. Last but not least, when the system is built and completed, I would like to overclock the processor from its stock clock of 3.5GHz, to preferably 4.0-4.5Ghz, would I be able to safely accomplish this with the liquid cooler that I have listed? Thank you to all who reply in advance, your help is noticed and greatly appreciated.

I'm on my way out so I can't review your build right this second, but I just wanted to answer your specific questions.  Your PSU is more than adequate and leaves ample headroom, no problem there especially as the XFX is solid.  I'm not confident the H60 would cool the FX8320 at 4-4.5GHz as they throw out a lot of heat and the H60 is at best a midrange cooler.  I've never recommended closed loop liquid cooling and would recommend a good air cooler instead, especially if you want to overclock such a high wattage CPU.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:16:26 AM »
    Wohooo, Calum to the rescue :)
    Evil is an exact science.

JTBOT65

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
      I'd definitely pick that ram set, ultimately it is cheaper, but I went for the RipJaws because I was aiming for a low CAS, and at roughly $11 more dollars I figured i'd get the better set of the two,
      (G.skill - CAS;7)
      (Crucial - CAS;11)
      I'd recommend something along this line.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wPNsWZ

The only other thing I would change would be an SSD for the OS and the apps you want to respond faster.

And @Calum what air cooler would you think is fit for the purpose? I was thinking of the classic 212 EVO but if there are any others for about 30-75$ id definately be interested.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »
      I busted your budget by just a little, or a little more if you exclude MIRs...I added an SSD though :)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/nkbVHx

I chose to go with an Intel i5 CPU, unlocked so you can still overclock.  The Raijintek Ereboss is a great cooler, edges out the go-to 212 Evo in performance and price/performance.  You could swap the case out for whatever you like really, the Fractal is just a reasonably cheap, well built case but as it's a personal choice really it's more of a placeholder.  I picked a cheaper EVGA PSU - still good quality but not modular.

If you wanted to go with an AMD build instead, keep the 8320, and go for either the 970A-D3P Quantos suggested or the Asus M5A99X Evo R2 - http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-m5a99xevor20 - everything else can remain the same.  That'll save you what, around $100, but I would still recommend the Intel build.

comda

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:16:17 AM »
      Whats wrong with an AMD build? Im running a FX 8120 build i put together about 3 years ago and i love it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
      Whats wrong with an AMD build?

He didn't say there was anything wrong with an AMD build. He said he recommends an Intel build.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

comda

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 09:45:10 AM »
      I understand that very clearly. I didnt ask it to be rude to say "AMD DOESNT SUCK", i asked because i want to know what are per say that advantages to a Intek build rather then an AMD.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 09:50:36 AM »
      The reason I recommended an Intel build over AMD is quite simply because it's faster.  Not all Intel CPUs are faster or better than the AMD equivalents but in this case, for a fairly high-end gaming rig, I just couldn't recommend an AMD build.  It doesn't help that there isn't a great range of good AMD boards these days either, at least not for the AM3+ socket, as it's a bit of a dead end.  AMD are great for lower budget rigs, their APUs are excellent and I'd be happy to build around one of those if appropriate, but for most situations these days I'd go Intel.

comda

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
      The reason I recommended an Intel build over AMD is quite simply because it's faster.  Not all Intel CPUs are faster or better than the AMD equivalents but in this case, for a fairly high-end gaming rig, I just couldn't recommend an AMD build.  It doesn't help that there isn't a great range of good AMD boards these days either, at least not for the AM3+ socket, as it's a bit of a dead end.  AMD are great for lower budget rigs, their APUs are excellent and I'd be happy to build around one of those if appropriate, but for most situations these days I'd go Intel.

Thank-you. See i built my AMD rig about 3 years ago. 8120 CPU, M5A97 board. Its a nice little system and my first build but there are times where i do wonder what i would have had with an intel. I do have a 2600 i7 and it seems a lot slower then my AMD. but i blame acer for using a green drive for that..

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 09:57:09 AM »
      There are a lot of other considerations beside the CPU in regards to how fast your system feels.  If the Intel based system has a slow green drive then I'd imagine it'll feel rather sluggish, yes.  The i7-2600 is faster than the AMD 8120 for sure.