Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How To Build The Best Home Server (Out Of An Old Dell Dimension Xps Gen4)  (Read 3326 times)

apacheomega

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner

apacheomega

Hello Fellow Geek Monsters!!!
    I have an old gamming PC just sitting around colecting dust and I figured, "Hey I can do somthing with that!!!". So the next Big thought was how cool would it be to have my own remote server (for storade, back up, database, web server or even cloud). since I'm in my final year of school I've grown tired of carrying around the right flash drive, worrying about disk space, and yatta yatta yatta.

I wanted to know if at all possible can I turn this old relic into a winner? I have a 3TB Western Digital (Green) HHD, I'm not sure how many gigs of ram I need or how much it can be upgraded to, and I also have a copy of RHEL 7 in my posession but don't know what to do.

I basicly want to be able to store all my data from assignments, movies, music, etc. and be able to access my data remotley (In case I get some where and dont have the proper portable disk or what ever) Also I'm about to build my own web site for potential employers can see my project portfolio and also my proffesional profile.

Before I rant on any further I just want to know if this is possible on this old PC of mine, what software do I need, and where are the tutorials for this so I don't have to constantly bug the crap out of all you Jedi Mind melders out there.

Thank You
    AO!

P.S. I'm curently using Linux Fedora 21 on my modern desktop and an android tablet for mobile. I will be parchasing a sytem76 laptop in the mere future!!!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Post the system specs...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "