Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer restarts when i play games!  (Read 3196 times)

mix718

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    My computer restarts when i play games!
    « on: February 07, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »
    Please help! my computer randomly restarts when i'm playing games. This happens only when i play heavy games like skyrim. I've read a lot from forums recently and tried multiple things to fix it but the trouble won't go away! I've installed latest drivers, checked for viruses, cleaned computer from dust, troubleshooted, checked Bios and checked temperatures. The temperatures are normal even when i am gaming, so it's not overheating. But when the computer chrashes a black screen pops up and a strange noise comes up. I am not sure if my PSU is correct strength for my computer now that i have recently vought new GPU,CPU, RAM and motherboard.

My PC specs are:

Intel core i7/4790k 4.00ghz
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX980
    8gb ram
    1tb hdd
    ASUS motherboard Z97-A
    PSU Corsair 650w

Here is a link to my voltages: http://i60.tinypic.com/2ly08hy.png

and i dont know the fan specs, but if it's reallly necessary then i'll find out somehow.
    Please help! This is really bugging me now and I would admire every answer or solution given!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My computer restarts when i play games!
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »
    Have you run memtest86 on this to make sure its not a ram stick causing a crash. Also look in the windows event log to see if it says what it thinks the condition is. It might just state unexpected power failure, but maybe there is something helpful there.

mix718

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »
      tried the memtest and there were no errors, but i'm not sure how to use the event viewer if you could please explain a little how it works. Thanks again for answering me btw :)

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:53:59 PM »
      Right-Click on My Computer on your desktop
      Select Manage
      Select Event Viewer

You then will see in a window

Critical
      Error
      Warning
      Information
      Audit Success

Look through these for anything that shows problems and report them back here.

mix718

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »
        here they are:         and it's last hour/within 24hours/within 7days

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »
        I'd try a different power supply since i dont see anything else here that would point elsewhere. Kernel Power is Windows detecting power losses. Do you have a spare on hand that is sufficient wattage or can you get a replacement or borrow one from someone that is known good at above 600 watts? If replacing the power supply and having to buy one, another 650watt by Corsair should be good but I feel is close to the bare minimum to drive the CPU/GPU combo. Also your prior power supply may be covered by warranty depending on its age. When did you buy the power supply, and do you still have sales slip?

Anyone else here know if they should go with heavier than 650 watts with this build? To me it seems as if 600 watts of a good trusted brand would be bare minimum. Should they go with a 750 watt due to the power hungry CPU and GPU combo?

mix718

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 03:56:33 AM »
          i do not have the sales slip due to the fact that my friend gave me this PSU to help out with my new power requirements of the GPU. I'm thinking of buying a new PSU with 750-850w and see if there is a difference. I'll reply after i investigate more of the PSU issue. Also, thanks again for helping me out!