Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Liquid cooling.. to liquid cool or not?  (Read 3561 times)

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Liquid cooling.. to liquid cool or not?
    « on: February 25, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »
    First I want to thank everyone for their response about SATA III connections.  It helped a lot.

As I mentioned I am building this PC from the ground up

It's purpose will be a basic computer.  But at some point I would like to get into some gaming.  I don't think I'll get too serious into it.

Like I mentioned this is a basic purpose PC.  I would like to getsome software to do some editing on our family videos at some point in time

My next question is cooling.

I have an i7 4790k.  Its more of a processor then I need.  But I got a screaming deal on it @ Microcenter for $250!

Everyone has told me to replace the fan as it sucks.

I do not intend to overclock.

But I am taking this build serious.  Money is not an issue.  I would like to put the best parts on/in it to get the most out of it.  And hopefully get more longevity.

When I was @ Micro center the lady had recommended I go with a closed loop liquid cooling system.  And toss the i7 fan in the garbage.

Is liquid cooling way to much of an overkill for my needs.  I know its more then is necessary.  But will it negatively hurt to go with liquid cooling.  Or would I get better performance out of an air cooled unit.

I have a Corsair 760t case.  So room and venting is not a problem.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I would like to take advantage of my 760t panel window and show of my build.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Liquid cooling.. to liquid cool or not?
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:34 PM »
    You already seem to know enough to answer this yourself...

I do not intend to overclock.

If you don't intend to overclock ever (even after you start using it for gaming), then I think you should go with an air cooler.

Is liquid cooling way to much of an overkill for my needs.  I know its more then is necessary.  But will it negatively hurt to go with liquid cooling.  Or would I get better performance out of an air cooled unit.

Yes, it is overkill. Will it hurt? No. However, if you plan on building/filling your water cooling system yourself, be very careful. I had one once that had a very slow leak that I couldn't see. A tiny droplet of water eventually hit the video card and... you know. There was a small stain on the PCI-E connector showing that water had been leaking for a while.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:39:27 AM »
    The stock i& cooler is more than adequate...

As far as the GPU fan if it's a good brand i wouldn't worry about that fan either...your buddies sound a bit obsessed with hardware failure.

If you want when you buy the card find a replacement fan for it then and just keep it in inventory til it's needed...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:53:27 AM »
    Without overclocking, the stock cooler will be fine.  The only thing that an aftermarket air cooler would give you would be it running a bit quieter.  I'd start off with the stock cooler and see how you get on.  Intel are not going to ship a cooler that is not capable of sufficiently cooling one of their chips at stock speed.