Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PDF conversion. double to single column  (Read 3270 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
PDF conversion. double to single column
« on: March 18, 2015, 06:44:08 PM »
For some of use, reading a two-column PDF on a table is torture.
My vision is very low. Using a computer screen and the visual aids available, I can get by. But going to a conference or public meeting is a problem. The only thing one can take into some places is a small tablet

Twice a week I go  to a local congregation and use either my tablet of oversize print outs to follow along with the lessons. The means I have to do some manhal editing ahead of time to have a document I can easily read.

Some materiel is in PDF format on a web site. If it is just on or two pages, I edit it by hand. But a lot of the material is in book form and we do about 16 pages a week. So I depend of getting the PDF in an oversize format. But it is not always available. But a standard two column format is available.

Here is my question. What program or service will convert dual column PDF to a single column and also increase the font size?

Trying to increase  font size in a dual column document results in a mess. Single column behaves the way you expect.
Articles I have found make it seem  very hard to automate.  :(

Any ideas are welcome.   :)

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: PDF conversion. double to single column
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
Is there a way that the owner of the PDF can send you a specially sized version or a word document instead of the PDF in which you can select all and simply increase the font of the document?

Years ago one of my clients had poor vision and used the magnifying glass in Windows, but this can be a pain because you have to move it around as your reading etc.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 02:17:33 PM »
Thanks, I will check with the owner of the document. Maybe they have an alternative format that will work better.

josewatt

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:59:26 AM »
    Hi! I agree with you that reading a double paged PDF is a torture. I would recommend converting it into another format like DOC or DOCX. I convert the PDFs whichever are in double layout to word documents with Universal Document Converter. I downloaded the software from http://www.print-driver.com . Please check it out. it will definitely help.

Blair

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 01:24:41 PM »
    Wondershare PDFElement is software that manipulates a pdf every which way from Sunday, it's the one I use.

Is there not a zoom function in the pdf viewer on every device?
    You are able to manipulate the font size of a pdf, but zooming is easier.
    I too have fading eyesight!

I hope it helps
    Blair

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »
    Blair, Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, the zoom feature relay does help. My vision is classed at 400/20 for reading. Which means I have to magnify up to 20 times what is normal. At that  high levle zoom, navigation becomes difficult.

The document is also available in Word format. I have yet to fully explore what I can not in Word. The RTF file is in single column, which is much easier to navigate. Presently I am trying to locate a copy of MS word in my archives. Using a similar program does not work right, some things are specific to word.

Meanwhile, I can read the PDF, but it is hard to navigate around with a two-locum layout at a high zoom setting.

Maybe I will find my DVI adapter and go back to using two monitors. That is OK for my desktop, but for my android device tat is not an option. Sometimes I need to leave the house and take my reading materiel with me.

I will update this if I find a better solution.  :)

Blair

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 05:10:40 PM »
    I need extensions on my arms to be able to see my tablet ;D