Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer smoking?  (Read 3047 times)

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer smoking?
    « on: April 16, 2015, 09:50:28 AM »
    So last night I was playing a game of CSGO with some friends when I thought I could smell burning. It was a weird smell though, it didn't smell like fire, so I continued to play. A few seconds later my entire computer powered off completely. It began to reboot but I worried to I turned it off from the power switch at the back. I then noticed smoke rushing out of the front of the case,  so I assumed it was something from the front. I decided to leave it to cool down overnight, and then test it after my revision class the next day. I got home, and decided to test it. I pressed the power button, and as half expected it didn't turn on. After taking the panel off of the case I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be too much damage to any of the parts, in fact I haven't noticed any. Although the power supply reeks of the burning smell, and it was a cheap power supply, so could it be that the power supply has overheated or something? And if so, will only this need repairing or will this have destroyed the motherboard and other parts of the computer? The other option is to take it to the shop that built it for me and see if they can spot anything. If necessary I can attach pictures of any parts that you need to see, but as mentioned as far as I can see I can't see any damage, but I might not be looking in the right places.

Thank you for all your help, jake.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer smoking?
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
    If your lucky you just need to replace the power supply. As long as the power supply didn't pass any unsafe voltages to the motherboard you should still have a good computer.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »
    Most likely if you simply replace the power supply, your computer should be good to go.  It is possible that the power supply could have spiked and also damaged your mobo but I think the odds are with you.

The PSU is one of the easiest things in your computer to swap out, held in place by 4 screws.  There are a number of connectors that you will need to reattach so just take note where each plugs in.  They are keyed so it's not possible to plug them in backwards and are unique so that you can't plug them in to the wrong place. 

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »
    Hopefully the rest of the system survived but the PSU will need to be replaced.  The only way you can tell for sure is to try a working PSU.  Take this as a lesson to NEVER use cheap, generic power supplies, much better ones are not that much more expensive.

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 01:16:57 PM »
      Thank you all. If the PSU did somehow fry the motherboard, would their be any cosmetic signs, like melted chips or anything?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »
      It could leave a mark but not always, the only way to know for sure would be to try a known working PSU.