Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LOTUS Stuff  (Read 5817 times)

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
    • Experience: Beginner
    LOTUS Stuff
    « on: April 19, 2015, 05:22:28 AM »
    Hiya fellas!    Today I have found a cache of old text documents on a very old disk.     In my old days I used to use 'Lotus SmartSuite' as my word processor.   Here I have a stack of long forgotten work I have done in this format.    Problem is that I haven't got a program that will read these documents!   Thy are in either 'LWP' or 'SAM' format.     

Anyone know where I can get a reader for these docs please????   :o :o

Salmon Trout

Re: LOTUS Stuff
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:43 AM »
    Online file converter that says it can convert LWP format

http://www.fileminx.com/

Free Lotus viewer

ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/Kvlotus.exe

How to convert documents between Ami Pro 3.0/3.01 and Word 2000:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/208863

Please note I have tried none of these and do not have any expertise to offer!

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
      « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 12:44:22 PM »
      Salmon Trout mate, that 'filemix' works a treat on the 'LWP docs, but not on the 'SAM' ones.   You don't know a gizmo for these doce do you my friend?   :) :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »
      Have you tried the Ami Pro instructions at Microsoft? (A SAM file is an Ami Pro file.) And the Lotus converter?

Also SAM to Word converter download on this page

http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm

If all else fails, you can open SAM files in Notepad, the text will be visible with (probably) some gibberish which you could delete

You could try the free Libre Office, its word processor component is said to read some SAM files, but the same way as Notepad.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
        « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 04:34:48 AM »
        Salmon Trout, I can't seem to find this SAM converter bud????  Can you be a bit more specific please mate??  LOL :D :D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:44:05 AM »
        Look above; can you see where it says "Also SAM to Word converter download on this page"? Immediately below is a link.

Go to that page and look about half way down where it says "File converter downloads" and below that the first link says "Ami Pro". Click on that and you can download a ZIP file. Inside the ZIP are 2 folders; one is or 64 bit and one for 32 bit Windows. Also a Readme.first text file you should read. What it does is install a converter for Microsoft Word. If you do not have Word then downloading the converter is pointless. I have never used this and can offer no support. All I have done is use Google to find Ami Pro converter links.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
          « Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 02:55:11 AM »
          Ah, 'Ami332' Tried this bud but it don't seem to work ..that's why I came back.  Will try it again my friend.   ??? ???

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
            « Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 04:16:27 AM »
            Hiya Salmon Trout...  I have to merge a file in this program with my registry ... this may sound silly, but where the heck is this file please?

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
              « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 04:53:41 AM »
              I mean where is the registry kept kiddo??  :D

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
              You can use the Registry Editor to access it.  Type regedit.exe in the Run box.  I hope you know what you're doing.  If not, I suggest you stay out of it.  If you do make any changes, backup the registry first; you can use the menu in Registry Editor for this; click File and then Export.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
                « Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 02:41:35 AM »
                Yes I am very wary here mate.   Salmon Trout has helped me greatly here and whilst the .sam gizmo is not so good, the other is so I am once more indebted to you guys up here!   Corel has taken Lotus over and the new suite from them is over £200!  I have my old Lotus program on disk, but I am now Win 7 ..64bit ..and this doesn't help.   Thanks again for all your input here fellas'  ..don't know what I would do without yer!   ;D ;D