Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help Me Build My 1500$ Child! (Gaming Computer)  (Read 3871 times)

Mansa

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Help Me Build My 1500$ Child! (Gaming Computer)
    « on: April 19, 2015, 09:15:17 AM »
    Hey guys, how are you all doing? Hope you're doing fantastic.  :)
    So I've been surfing the internet and doing some research for a few days now, but i still can't make up my mind. So i'm here seeking your guidance and advice, your opinions are greatly welcomed as well. Let's just get into my question!
    So, i'm aiming for the absolute best parts compared to a price/performance ratio. I don't want to spend 200$ more just for a 10% FPS increase. My budget is currently nothing above 1500$, the cheapest solution is best, unless i'm sacrificing too much. If it's worth the investment, then i have no problem. But let's just stick to the budget for now!

First question (Not included in the build budget.)
    I can't decide which monitor to get!! Should i go for a 4k 60Hz monitor, or a 1440p 144Hz/120Hz monitor? :-[
    In your opinion, would you sacrifice the extra frame rates for a more beautiful clarity?
    I think i want a 120Hz/144Hz 1440p Monitor.. yet again.. i keep changing my mind! Can you guys justify this purchase for me?!
    Please link me some monitors you recommend that wont bleed my wallet. I don't want an puny 18 inch monitor either.

Second part of my question ; I can't play on 4k / 1440p if i don't have a computer! ;D!
    I think i'm planning on getting two Nvidia GTX 970 SLI cards, surely that would be enough to run demanding games at max settings at 1440p 60+ fps, right? It's great for its price, right? Also, i don't want my computer to just be a gaming computer. I want it to be my work station! I do some Animation, Video editing, rendering etc.. I've never built a computer before! Other then the Graphics Cards, i don't know what i need! Will you guys recommend the rest of the computer build for me? Thank you!

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help Me Build My 1500$ Child! (Gaming Computer)
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »
    I would recommend getting the 1440p one, 4k is currently too demanding for modern GPU technologies so lots of games won't run that well.  1440p is still extremely sharp and can be run well using modern GPUs.

As far as the GPUs - A single 970 can do 1440p although a 980 would be even better.  I would avoid SLI as it costs twice as much, means you need a more expensive PSU and better cooling and doesn't give double the performance.

If you are rendering video, get an i7 CPU without a doubt, you will need all the CPU power you can get.  Also focus on getting a good quality, reliable motherboard (such as one from Gigabyte or ASUS) and a good quality case and power supply.  Also of course go for an SSD (such as one from Crucial or Samsung).

Feel free to use pcpartpicker.com and link your parts list here for us to look over.

Mansa

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 05:52:02 AM »
      Hey camerongray.

Someone recommended this build for me.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pvrtBm

970 SLI runs much faster then a single 980 card, a 980 is 200$ more then a 970. Also, i'd love to have the highest frame rate possible.
      Do you have any 1440p 144Hz monitors you can recommend for me?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 06:09:49 AM »
      That looks okay but a 550w PSU is cutting it far too close for 970 SLI.  You would need to upgrade the PSU to something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr.  I still really don't feel you need SLI for that setup and I would recommend getting a single card and only bother with a second one if you feel that you really need the extra performance after trying the single card first.

stewie-Y

Beginner

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »
      Question: Did you get that recommended build from Linus Tech Tips? I think I've seen that before.

As Camerongray said, I wouldn't put my hopes into a very decent 4K machine with a $1500 budget, and while 550W PSU may work with that, it would be wise getting a PSU that supports higher wattage for when your dual GPU's and CPU are under stress.

I think that the two 970's would be fine, but I don't know if you could find a single graphics card that would give more performance / price. Also, I don't know if they'd handle 4K well, but 1440 should be easy (I think even just 1 would handle 1440 fine on pretty much any game).

Side note: If you're going to dump that much money into a rig, I would suggest getting a larger hard drive than 1TB. 1TB is a lot, but can fill up if you're storing loads of stuff.

Mansa

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 07:01:04 AM »
        I've watched a ton of Linus Tech on YouTube, but someone here in Computerhope recommended that build for me.
        That's it, i'm going to purchase this build as soon as i find a 1440p 144Hz monitor worthy of purchase!
        Two 970's can actually handle 4K quiet well while giving 50 - 60 FPS on Ultra.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 07:46:23 AM »
        That's it, i'm going to purchase this build as soon as i find a 1440p 144Hz monitor worthy of purchase!

Cool, but I reiterate again, you need a higher wattage PSU for SLI, that 550w is cutting it extremely close, This one would do fine: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Mansa

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 06:13:55 AM »
          Gotcha'
          Also, last question.
          Do i need to buy any thermal paste when building the computer?

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 06:54:06 AM »
          Your cooler will come with some either in the box or preapplied.  It may be worth getting some though just in case you mess up fitting the cooler and need to do it again or you later want to remove the cooler.