Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Factory Reset  (Read 2781 times)

taniarae26

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Factory Reset
    « on: April 22, 2015, 07:20:22 PM »
    I am planning to do a factory reset on my computer, but I am pretty sure I installed Windows 7 after purchase of my computer and I want to know if I will lost it (I no longer have the disk).  If it will not reinstall 7, will it resinstall whatever originally came with the computer?  Also, if I installed Microsoft Word after purchase will I lose it as well?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Factory Reset
    « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:04:23 PM »
    A factory reset means setting it back to how it came from the factory. There is no kind of 'smart' option to recover other materiel you added later.

You can try and make a backup copy of everything to external storage. But you will not get it all back like your once had it. Your personal data can be saved and restored, but not programs that integrate into the OS.

carsong

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:48:47 AM »
      1. Power Off the PS3 via the power switch in back and power back on w/switch.

2. Hold Power Button on the Front until you hear 3 beeps.

3. Then go through the initial setup and then run a full Format via System > Format. (will take approx 3 1/1 hours). You may need to have our AV cables ready if your using HDMI (in case HDMI isn’t detected after initial reset).

4. (Optional) Restore your back up made before the reset/format if you made one.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »
      Feel free to ignore the above post.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:40:06 PM »
      Hi Reloading Windows requires some planning and also some install disks.

First think is to run belarc advisor  http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Check that report that you have your Windows 7 key and Office keys there are other programs that will give you this info but this also lists your hardware that if you don't want to run the next program will help you get your info to download drivers.

Run Double driver from here  http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

And use that to backup your drivers.
      Do you know all the passwords for email, skpe and websites if not you will need a program called SIW https://www.gtopala.com/siw/buy_other.php download the trial version, Go to secrets left hand column and copy off the user names and passwords for sites and email accounts

Now do you have a dvd with the same version of windows 7 you found with Belarc Advisor ?
      Do you have an office DVD the same ?

Also it is a good idea to copy off your downloads folder, any import documents etc
      If you are not going to do a full backup then at least have a look at "windows easy transfer" , best to run that program from the windows 7 DVD as with windows updates  this program has changed and if you use a different version it may not restore.
      Seems like a lot of things to do but once you reinstall, the computer is back to the way it was before you started using it everything gone.
      I always do a full backup with Todo backup or replace the drive with a new one and install windows onto the new drive.
      I hope this makes sense

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »
      For what it is worth.
      Saving a collection is drivers is useful if you can find them again.
      CD-R is one way to save drivers. If you do not 'finalize' the CD, you can had more drives on it.
      Here are two links to explain how to leave a CD open to later write more.
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/close-finalize-cd-dvd#1TC=windows-7
      http://malektips.com/cd-dvd-explain-finalize.html#.VX3LDnaCnMo
      This is not for Audio9 CDs or for Videos. It works for storage of files you are collecting for future use.