Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AMD Athlon vs AMD Phenom  (Read 3383 times)

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
  • Experience: Expert
AMD Athlon vs AMD Phenom
« on: May 04, 2015, 12:08:11 PM »
I recently acquired a Motherboard (M2N68-LA) with an extra CPU and after trying different searches, i'm having a problem finding out which would be better for me. First of all, I don't do ANY Gaming, at all. I watch alot of online videos and movies off my hard drive and occasionally a little video/audio editing with avs4you.
Can anyone that understands CPU's tell me which one would be better for me?
All comments are very appreciated.
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with 4 GB DDR2 Ram

AMD Athlon Dual Core 7550 2.50 GHz or AMD Phenom 8400 Triple Core 2.10 GHz

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: AMD Athlon vs AMD Phenom
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:38:55 PM »
Lots of info out there on these.

Each CPU benchmark

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+8400+Triple-Core

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+7550+Dual-Core&id=99

CPU comparison

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-X3-8400-vs-AMD-Athlon-X2-7750

They are close in performance. If you were looking to overclock the Athlon looks like its unlocked while the Phenom is locked. Also the Tripple core phenom is only 2.1Ghz while the Athlon makes up in performance for lacking a core in the faster 2.7Ghz clock.

You could always try each one out and see which one you like best. There are situations where the Athlon would be better than the Phenom. Testing them out of probably your best bet. Maybe the difference will be unnoticeable.

The Athlon looks like it could take an overclock to 3.22Ghz if you can keep it cool and run healthy timings without issues of bugs showing up with board or RAM tripping up on the cranked to 3.22Ghz clock of the Athlon with max overclock.

The Phenom could also be overclocked, but because its a locked CPU, only method of overclock to 2.44Ghz would be by upping the FSB on the memory. I have had to overclock this way with a locked Athlon 64 x2 4450B from 2.3 Ghz to 2.53Ghz raising the FSB from 200 to 220Mhz with locked multiplier of 11.5 for a 10% overclock which adds to performance and I am able to stay cool on stock cooler ( cast aluminum heatsink and fan )

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »
I already went that route for a few simple tasks but didn't really notice much difference. I was just curious since the Phenom is Triple Core that maybe it was better at multitasking background apps. I also looked at the Benchmarks but didn't understand them much. Thanks for your input though and quick responce.

John

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:52:55 PM »
These CPU's are very close in processing power ... Only other thoughts on an extra core with the Phenom would be if you wanted to use Core Affinity to allocate specific cores to specific tasks etc, so that instead of multitasking with all cores juggling the workload, you could specify an important task to not lag to have Core Affinity to give say 2 cores to a really important task and leave the 3rd core for the OS and web browser to function etc, and prioritize 2 of the 3 cores for crunching whatever task you need to have maximum processing power without competing with the other lesser important CPU use duties.

But as far as core affinity goes, I have only used it for playing older games built back before multiple core CPU's which act up when you give the game a 4 core CPU, in which for example the game Unreal Tournament 99  ( 1999 edition ) was made for Pentium III and Pentium 4 single core type systems and the game acts up with freeze framing with use of all 4 cores of my Athlon II x4 620  2.6Ghz quadcore, but the minute you set the core affinity to use Core 0 for the game and leave Cores 1,2,3 for everything else the game runs perfectly fine as if it was running on a single core CPU at 2.6Ghz

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 01:10:21 PM »
Wow, didn't know that was even possible. Definitely food for thought. Thanks again for your help on this.

John